Its construction goes way back to the 17th century. At that time, only the Tuileries ferryboat, a simple boat, enables to cross from the Right bank to the Left. The Rue du Bac is still named after this boat.
Called Pont Rouge [Red Bridge] because of its color, this bridge doesn’t last a long time since it will caught fire in 1654 and destroyed by a flood two years later. A new wooden bridge is built in 1660, but also destroyed by the water.
In 1685, Louis XIV chooses to build a third bridge but in stone: the Pont Royal that will see the light of the day in 1689. Built by famous architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart, the Pont Royal quickly becomes a popular bridge where Parisians hold parties and large popular gatherings. Despite its name, this five-arch bridge surprises with the simplicity of its décor. Only eight triangular hooded beaks come to embellish it all.
During the French Revolution, the Pont Royal is renamed the Pont National, then Pont des Tuileries by Napoléon; before getting its original name back in 1814. Since 1939, this Parisian bridge has known an eventful story and listed a historical monument. Walking it is like going back a part of Paris story!
75001 Paris 1