Coronavirus: Beijing rejects any call for global investigation prior to the end of the Covid-19 crisis

Published by Laurent P. · Published on 6 May 2020 at 16h19 · Updated on 7 May 2020 at 16h07
The fight against coronavirus first, answers later… Beijing has announced, via its UN ambassador Chen Xu, to reject any call for global investigation on the laboratory in Wuhan accused of spreading Covid-19 as long as the virus has not been suppressed. A stance that appears after the United States accused China, in late March, to have originated the virus.

This is a big NO from the Chinese diplomacy… Amid the fight against coronavirus, this Wednesday May 6, UN ambassador Chen Xun spoke in the name of Beijing and said they were rejecting any call for global investigation so far regarding the responsibility of the Wuhan laboratory as of the spread of Covid-19. A meaningful refusal after being accused numerous times by Donald Trump and the United-States to have originated the virus “with enormous evidence”.

We cannot allow this kind of political virus to spready freely without any curbing […] we are concentrating all our efforts on fighting against the virus” the envoy said, considering the diplomatic was not enabling any investigation so far. He went on: “It’s not that we are allergic to any kind of investigations, inquiries or evaluations” before adding “we need to focus firstly to save lives”.

As for Beijing, they have accused American diplomacy of “shifting their own responsibility for their poor handling of the epidemic to others”. Chen Xu explained: “Mr. Pompeo repeatedly spoke up but he cannot present any evidence. How can he? […] This matter should be handed to scientists”. We still have to wait then for an investigation from the WHO and the UN.


Practical information

Comments
Refine your search
Refine your search
Refine your search
Refine your search