Julie M., My B. · Published on 19 October 2020 at 18h30
· Updated on 19 October 2020 at 19h57
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis for months. Discover updates on countries impacted by the coronavirus epidemic this Monday October 19, 2020. Over 40.4 million cases have been reported and over 1,1 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide according to The Coronavirus App. The new case toll has never been this high, and some countries are facing new waves as they seemed to have curbed the epidemic.
In the world, as of Monday October 19, 2020, Covid-19 infected 40,454,473 people. So far, 1,126,984 people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. The new infection toll skyrockets in America. WHO urges to take control over the epidemic. Some countries are facing new contamination waves.
- Italy reports this Monday October 19, 9,338 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 73 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 36,616 since the beginning of the epidemic. As of today, 423,578 cases have been confirmed so far. To curb the second epidemic wave, Italy toughens measures and bans - among others - private gatherings.
- The United Kingdom reports 18,804 new cases in 24h as of Monday October 19, 2020 with a total of 741,212 cases, and 80 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 43,726 deaths. The UK is the European country the most infected by coronavirus. A first case in Britain of sudden and permanent hearing loss to Covid-19 unveils a new side effect likely to have been caused by the infection.
- Spain reports as of Monday October 19, 37,889 new cases, including 3,750 in 24h, that is to say 974,449 cases in total. The country reports 217 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 33,992 deaths. Spain is experiencing a second coronavirus wave, with Madrid as the epicenter. Facing a dramatic increase in coronavirus cases in the Madrid area, the Spanish government ordered this Friday October 9 an "alert emergency" in the capital and several neighboring cities in order to partially re-implement lockdown, cancelled the day before by a court decision.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 44,948 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Monday October 19, the country reports 8,387,453 cases. The country reports 452 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 224,733 deaths. After Johnson & Johnson, Eli Lilly has halted vaccine clinical trials in order to avoid patients any side effects.
- In India, the death toll keeps on growing. The country reports on Monday October 19, 7,55,262 cases (+55,035 in 24 hours), and 114,670 deaths including 565 in 24 hours. In India, some neighborhoods and cities have reached over 50% of people contaminated by accident. In shanty towns, inhabitants seem to face coronavirus better. Some people wonder if the population is immune. India exceeds 7 million cases.
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 10,982 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Monday October 19, 230 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 5,235,344 cases in total, and 153,905 deaths according to data given by the government. Brazil exceeds 150,000 deaths. After closing for six months because of the pandemic, hundreds of thousands of poor children are likely to drop school.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 897,034 cases have been reported (+29,837 in 24h) and 33,477 people have died. As of Sunday October 18, 85 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 10,921 deaths. 22,565 people have died in hospitals (+85).
- Morocco is experiencing an increasing number of infections since the health emergency has been made softer which has been extended for another month this Thursday October 8, 2020. This Sunday October 18, the country reports 2,721 new cases in 24 hours, a total of 173,632 cases. The country also reports 2,928 deaths (+50 in 24h). After closing borders for seven months over Covid-19, the first tourists landed this Saturday in Marrakech, like Agadir and Oujda, is part of the destinations leaving from Europe resumed by low cost airline Ryanair.
Data as of Monday October 19, 2020:
- Japan as of Monday October 19 reports 471 new cases in 24 hours. 93,127 cases have been reported in total, and 1,674 deaths (+4 in 24h). Japan is determined to host the 2021 Olympics. Designer Kenzo Takada has died at age 81 to coronavirus. Instead of tracking all infections, the Japanese 3-C-method consisting in looking (ahead of time) for super-contaminators seems to be working.
- Romania is currently on alert. The country reports 182,854 cases (+2,466) and 5,931 deaths (+59) because of Covid-19. Earlier this week, Romanian authorities announced new restrictions to travelers entering Romania coming from some European countries.
- Poland currently reports 183,248 (+7,482) contamination cases and 3,614 Covid-19 deaths (+41). The country is experiencing an increase in the number of contaminations over the past days. Despite so, the country excludes a new lockdown. Poland bans direct flights from several countries including France. Poland is reimplementing hours reserved for seniors in stores.
- Iran reports 337 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 30,712 deaths and 534,631 cases reported (+4,251 in 24h). Facing the sharp increase in contaminations and deaths, the Iranian government has announced new restrictions, including the closure of cafés and gyms, as well as mandatory facemask-wearing in Teheran starting Saturday. Iran is facing what seem to be the "third coronavirus wave".
- Portugal reports a growing number of new cases. As of Monday October 19, 1,949 new infections have been reported, leading to a total of 101,860 and 2,198 deaths (+17) have been reported. The Portuguese government has extended this Thursday and until mid-October all gathering and stores' opening hours restrictions to fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, as the country is facing - like the rest of Europe - to a daily increase in infections. Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive, two days after France Portugal.
- In Germany, the new case toll stays high with 4,908 new infections in 24 hours. As of Monday October 19, the country reports 366,931 cases, along with 9,901 deaths (+15). The country is experiencing a resurgence of the epidemic and implements new restrictions aiming at limiting the number of partygoers in private and public places. In Germany, the resurgence of Covid cases - despite many restrictions - has the country worried. Germany gas new trip restrictions implemented for Fall break.
- The epidemic is spreading in Africa. South Africa is the cradle of the pandemic on the African continent where the toll of new cases skyrockets and peaks. This Monday October 19, the country reports 703,793 cases (+1,662) and 18,471 deaths (+63). South Africa is partially reopening its borders. Travelers - who can only arrive in three airports - will have to present a negative Covid-19 test dating from at least 72 hours.
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 105,424 cases (+127) and 6,120 deaths including 11 these past 24 hours. The plasma cure gives hope in Egypt.
- Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 3,126 new cases today. As of Monday October 19, the country reports 868,675 contamination cases, 33,759 deaths (+57). The country has exceeded the 30,000-death mark. Over 3,000 volunteers test the Chinese vaccine in Peru. Peru Ministry of Culture Alejandro Neyra announced that starting October 15, archeological sites of Sacsayahuaman, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moray, Pikillacta and Tipon will reopen with a strict health protocol.
- South Korea, as of Monday October 19, reports 76 new infections. 25,275 cases in total, and 444 deaths (+0 in 24h) have been reported. South Korea proposes Russia to team up to develop vaccines against Covid. After making Covid-19 restrictions softer in South Korea, the public can return starting this Friday in K-League stadiums.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 15 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Monday October 19, China reports 85,687 cases and 4,634 deaths (+0 in 5 months). China is testing an entire city after 6 coronavirus cases.
- Belgium reports - as of Monday October 19 - 9,138 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 222,253 cases. There have been 21 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 10,413 deaths. Belgian brewers cry disaster.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 450 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 939,787 infections (+7,648 in 24h) and 92,525 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. A 54-year-old woman is the first Mexican to be infected both by Covid-19 and H1N1, Authorities said on Sunday.
- Venezuela reports 878 new cases in 24 hours, leading to 86,636 cases. The country - reporting 11 deaths in 24 hours and a total death toll of 736 to coronavirus since the pandemic broke out, orders strict quarantine all over the country. The first Russian vaccine has arrived on October 2, 2020 in Venezuela.
- Russia, as of Monday October 19, reports 15,982 new cases leading to a total of 1,415,316 cases and 24,366 deaths (+179). Russia says their second vaccine has completed trials for phase 2. Russian Embassy Minister-adviser has said the vaccine developed in Russia against coronavirus was "effective" and "several people were vaccinated in Russia".
- In Israel, this Monday October 19, 2020, 737 new cases, leading to a total of 303,846 cases have been reported. So far, 2,209 coronavirus deaths including 19 in 24h have been totaled. The country is starting containment exit on Sunday October 18, 2020.
Data as of Sunday October 18, 2020:
- Chile, as of Sunday October 18, 2020, reports 1,757 new cases in 24 hours, and reports 491,760 cases and 13,635 deaths (+47). This past Tuesday, Chile has exceeded the 400-000 confirmed coronavirus case-mark. Santiago de Chile is almost fully out of lockdown. Chilean scientists study a possible mutation of the novel coronavirus in southern Patagonia.
- Algeria faces a decreasing trend in new contamination cases. As of Sunday October 18, 54,402 cases (+199) and 1,856 deaths (+10) because of the epidemic have been reported. The decision to reopen borders is postponed to the end of the epidemic. Baccalaureate in Algeria: 9/20, the admission average, "exceptionally", because of Coronavirus.
Data as of Friday October 16, 2020:
- Sweden is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of today, Friday October 16, 103,200 cases (+793) and 5,918 (+8) deaths have been reported. Facing Covid-19, Sweden promotes a "long-lasting" strategy. Sweden has experienced no lockdown and is not making facemask-wearing mandatory, the country has one of the lowest contamination rate in Europe.
The Coronavirus App