Julie M., My B. · Published on 21 October 2020 at 09h28
· Updated on 21 October 2020 at 12h15
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis for months. Discover updates on countries impacted by the coronavirus epidemic this Wednesday October 21, 2020. Over 41 million cases have been reported and over 1,13 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide according to The Coronavirus App. The new case toll has never been this high, and some countries are facing new waves as they seemed to have curbed the epidemic.
In the world, as of Wednesday October 21, 2020, Covid-19 infected 41,120,320 people. So far, 1,137,291 people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. The new infection toll skyrockets in America. WHO urges to take control over the epidemic. Some countries are facing new contamination waves.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 69,135 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Wednesday October 21, the country reports 8,520,156 cases. The country reports 890 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 226,172 deaths. Trump lashes out at Dr. Fauci "here for 500 years" and "all these idiots" and said he had listened to him, there would have been over 700,000 deaths.
- In India, the death toll keeps on growing. The country reports on Wednesday October 21, 7,652,780 cases (+54,422 in 24 hours), and 115,969 deaths including 714 in 24 hours. This Tuesday, India reported the lowest daily case toll in four months.
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 23,227 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Wednesday October 21, 661 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 5,273,954 cases in total, and 154,837 deaths according to data given by the government. Brazil exceeds 150,000 deaths. After closing for six months because of the pandemic, hundreds of thousands of poor children are likely to drop school.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 930,745 cases have been reported (+20,468 in 24h) and 33,885 people have died. As of Tuesday October 20, 262 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 11,012 deaths (+100). 22,873 people have died in hospitals (+162 in 24h).
- Morocco is experiencing an increasing number of infections since the health emergency has been made softer which has been extended for another month this Thursday October 8, 2020. This Tuesday October 20, the country reports 5,371 new cases in 24 hours, a total of 179,003 cases. The country also reports 3,027 deaths (+51 in 24h). A lower case toll has been reported in the Casablanca-Settat area.
- Italy reports this Tuesday October 20, 10,874 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 89 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 36,705 since the beginning of the epidemic. As of today, 434,449 cases have been confirmed so far. In Italy, the Naples region that was more or less spared by coronavirus this past Spring is no longer spared.
- The United Kingdom reports 21,331 new cases in 24h as of Tuesday October 20, 2020 with a total of 762,542 cases, and 241 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 43,967 deaths. In the UK, police can now check if the quarantine is respected.
- Spain reports as of Tuesday October 20, 13,873 new cases, including 5,314 in 24h, that is to say 988,322 cases in total. The country reports 218 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 34,210 deaths. After Madrid on "health emergency" since October 9, 2020, the Navarre area will be partially on lockdown from Thursday to curb the spread of coronavirus.
Data as of Wednesday October 21, 2020:
- In Germany, the new case toll stays high with 7,133 new infections in 24 hours. As of Wednesday October 21, the country reports 381,769 cases, along with 10,010 deaths (+78). The country is experiencing a resurgence of the epidemic and implements new restrictions aiming at limiting the number of partygoers in private and public places. In Germany, the resurgence of Covid cases - despite many restrictions - has the country worried. Germany gas new trip restrictions implemented for Fall break.
- The epidemic is spreading in Africa. South Africa is the cradle of the pandemic on the African continent where the toll of new cases skyrockets and peaks. This Wednesday October 21, the country reports 706,304 cases (+1,050) and 18,656 deaths (+164). South African Prime Minister has tested positive for coronavirus.
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 105,705 cases (+158) and 6,142 deaths including 12 these past 24 hours. The plasma cure gives hope in Egypt.
- Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 3,242 new cases today. As of Wednesday October 21, the country reports 874,118 contamination cases, 33,875 deaths (+55). The country has exceeded the 30,000-death mark. Over 3,000 volunteers test the Chinese vaccine in Peru. Peru Ministry of Culture Alejandro Neyra announced that starting October 15, archeological sites of Sacsayahuaman, Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Moray, Pikillacta and Tipon will reopen with a strict health protocol.
- South Korea, as of Wednesday October 21, reports 91 new infections. 25,424 cases in total, and 450 deaths (+3 in 24h) have been reported. South Korea proposes Russia to team up to develop vaccines against Covid. After making Covid-19 restrictions softer in South Korea, the public can return starting this Friday in K-League stadiums.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 11 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Wednesday October 21, China reports 85,715 cases and 4,634 deaths (+0 in 5 months). China is testing an entire city after 6 coronavirus cases. China is said to start mass-vaccination against Covid.
- Belgium reports - as of Wednesday October 21 - 9,679 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 240,159 cases. There have been 46 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 10,489 deaths. According to Belgium's Health minister, the country is at the verge of a "tsunami".
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 305 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 953,640 infections (+4,374 in 24h) and 93,409 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. A 54-year-old woman is the first Mexican to be infected both by Covid-19 and H1N1, Authorities said on Sunday.
- Venezuela reports 483 new cases in 24 hours, leading to 87,644 cases. The country - reporting 6 deaths in 24 hours and a total death toll of 747 to coronavirus since the pandemic broke out, orders strict quarantine all over the country. The first Russian vaccine has arrived on October 2, 2020 in Venezuela. Students are looking for Wi-Fi to attend online classes.
- In Israel, this Wednesday October 21, 2020, 1,286 new cases, leading to a total of 306,503 cases have been reported. So far, 2,278 coronavirus deaths including 15 in 24h have been totaled. The country is starting containment exit on Sunday October 18, 2020.
- Russia, as of Wednesday October 21, reports 15,700 new cases leading to a total of 1,447,335 cases and 24,952 deaths (+317). Russia says their second vaccine has completed trials for phase 2. Russian Embassy Minister-adviser has said the vaccine developed in Russia against coronavirus was "effective" and "several people were vaccinated in Russia". A massive vaccine campaign against coronavirus will occur the next few months in the Russian capital, Moscow.
Data as of Tuesday October 20, 2020:
- Chile, as of Tuesday October 20, 2020, reports 1,099 new cases in 24 hours, and reports 494,478 cases and 13,702 deaths (+26). This past Tuesday, Chile has exceeded the 400-000 confirmed coronavirus case-mark. Santiago de Chile is almost fully out of lockdown. Chilean scientists study a possible mutation of the novel coronavirus in southern Patagonia. Other studies in Chile show the novel coronavirus could evolve adapting to its human hosts.
- Algeria faces a decreasing trend in new contamination cases. As of Tuesday October 20, 54,829 cases (+213) and 1,873 deaths (+8) because of the epidemic have been reported. The decision to reopen borders is postponed to the end of the epidemic. Baccalaureate in Algeria: 9/20, the admission average, "exceptionally", because of Coronavirus.
- Portugal reports a growing number of new cases. As of Tuesday October 20, 1,876 new infections have been reported, leading to a total of 103,736 and 2,213 deaths (+15) have been reported. The Portuguese government has extended this Thursday and until mid-October all gathering and stores' opening hours restrictions to fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, as the country is facing - like the rest of Europe - to a daily increase in infections. Portugal sparks outrage by wishing to make the tracking app mandatory.
- Sweden is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of today, Tuesday October 20, 106,380 cases (+3,180) and 5,922 (+4) deaths have been reported. Facing Covid-19, Sweden promotes a "long-lasting" strategy. Sweden has experienced no lockdown and is not making facemask-wearing mandatory, the country has one of the lowest contamination rate in Europe. For a while, some people are raising their voices, claiming that in reality in Sweden there is "no immunity, no tests and a lot of deaths..."
- Japan as of Tuesday October 20 reports 353 new cases in 24 hours. 93,480 cases have been reported in total, and 1,676 deaths (+2 in 24h). Japan is determined to host the 2021 Olympics. Designer Kenzo Takada has died at age 81 to coronavirus. Instead of tracking all infections, the Japanese 3-C-method consisting in looking (ahead of time) for super-contaminators seems to be working.
- Romania is currently on alert. The country reports 186,254 cases (+3,400) and 5,996 deaths (+65) because of Covid-19. Earlier this week, Romanian authorities announced new restrictions to travelers entering Romania coming from some European countries.
- Poland currently reports 192,539 (+9,291) contamination cases and 3,721 Covid-19 deaths (+103). Following resurgence in cases, the Varsaw stadium is turned into a hospital.
- Iran reports 322 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 31,034 deaths and 539,670 cases reported (+5,039 in 24h). Facing the sharp increase in contaminations and deaths, the Iranian government has announced new restrictions, including the closure of cafés and gyms, as well as mandatory facemask-wearing in Teheran starting Saturday. Iran is facing what seem to be the "third coronavirus wave". This Monday October 19, the country records its darkest day since the coronavirus pandemic broke out.
The Coronavirus App