Julie M. · Published on 7 March 2021 at 10h45
· Updated on 8 March 2021 at 18h44
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. Over 116 million coronavirus cases have been reported and over 2.5 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Monday March 8, 2021. Caledonia enters lockdown for two weeks, in the night between Monday and Tuesday. Germans rush onto antigenic tests sold in stores. Morocco extends health emergency for another month. Greece extends lockdown to March 16. The EU Commission prepares a vaccination passport project. The UK progressively exit lockdown from March 8, Germany might do the same.
As of Sunday March 7, 2021, Covid-19 infected 116,584,734 people (+179,240). So far, 2,573,734 (+2,320) people have died worldwide. We now use data provided by Google.
Covid: will vaccination be enough to prevent a leap forward in hospitalizations in France?
According to a new study carried out by Institut Pasteur, Covid-19 vaccination campaign in France will not be enough – on its own – to prevent a leap forward in hospitalization. Let us explain.
Covid: Coronavirus unlikely to be over by the end of the year, WHO warns
As many French people are hoping to get rid of the Covid-19 epidemic as soon as possible and get back to normal life, WHO considers “unrealistic” to “think the pandemic might be stopped by the end of the year”.
Covid: EU to propose vaccine passport project in March
European countries are willing to introduce vaccine passports as soon as possible to allow free movement of people given two shots of vaccine. This topic has Europe divided. But European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen announced Europe is to propose vaccine passport project in March.
Article being optimized, data may seem inconsistent lately, but it will resume to normal very soon.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 3,909,560 cases have been reported including 5,327 the past 24h. As of Monday March 8, 359 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 25,174 deaths. 63,759 people have died in hospitals (+359 in 24h) leading to a global total of 88,933 deaths. In France, 3,881,967 people have been given the first dose of vaccine in France.
- In Germany, the new case toll skyrockets: 8,103 new infections in 24 hours. As of Friday March 5, the country reports 2,500,182 cases, along with 71,900 (+96) deaths. Initially said to be on from November 2 to 30, the closure bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues continues and is once again extended to March 28, 2021. So far, 4,915,868 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine. This Saturday, Germans rushed onto antigenic tests sold in Lidl and Aldi stores.
- Morocco reports this Saturday March 6, 249 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 486,223 cases. The country also reports 8,682 deaths, +6 in 24h. Morocco's massive vacination campaign is starting at full speed with 3,913,615 people have been vaccinated already. The country once again extends health emergency to April 10, 2021.
- Greece records 2,301 new cases in 24h leading to 203,978 cases since the pandemic broke out. The country totals 6,705 deaths including 41 over the past 24h hours. 725,388 people have been given the first dose of vaccine. Greece extends lockdown to March 16.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 37 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Saturday March 6, 2021, China reports 102,101 cases and 4,848 deaths (+0). Beijing approves a second vaccine made in China. China is to generalize anal tests for foreign travelers.
- In Argentina, 2,149,621 coronavirus cases including 455 over the past 24h have been reported along with 52,880 deaths (+0). To date, 1,202,997 people have been given the first shot in the country. In Argentina, schools reopen after being closed for 11 months.
- Italy reports this Sunday March 7, 2021, 20,724 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 207 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 99,785 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 3,067,486 cases have been confirmed so far. 3,765,647 people have been given the first injection of vaccine. Italy closes all schools in "red area" starting Saturday.
- Israel records 786,613 cases since the epidemic broke out, including 0 over the past 24h and 5,792 deaths (+0). So far, 4,929,084 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine. Israel stops flights from and to the country to limit the spread of variants. A controversial bill enables authorities to know the names of people who are not vaccinated. Israel experiments "at-home" isolation with electronic tag to control trips.
- In the United-States, the new daily case toll keeps on decreasing in the 50 States. Today, 57,269 infections have been reported in 24 hours. As of Saturday March 6, 2021, the country reports 28,659,480 cases. The country reports 1,676 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 520,751 deaths. 58,873,710 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Joe Biden expects the country to reach herd immunity by the summer 2021. Mask becomes compulsory in transports. The border between the USA and Canada will remain shut until March 21.
- In India, the new case curve keeps on regularly decreasing. This Saturday March 6, India records 11,229,398 cases (+18,599 in 24 hours), and 157,853 deaths including 97 in 24 hours. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and emergency allows the new AstraZeneca vaccine. India launches a mass vaccine campaign and vaccinates 17,227,903 people in 24 hours.
- Belgium reports - as of Saturday March 6, 2021 - 807 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 787,797 cases. There have been 0 death in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 22,240 deaths. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad, including within Europe in February. 618,280 people have been injected the first dose of vaccine.
- South Korea, as of Saturday March 6, reports 346 new infections. 92,817 cases in total, and 1,642 deaths (+8 in 24h) have been reported. Faced with the 3rd wave - even more destructive than the previous two - the country reinforces social-distancing restrictions. In the capital, Seoul, the ban of gatherings of over 4 people is extended. The domestic vaccine campaign is set to begin in February. 316,865 have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- The epidemic is active in Africa and keeps on spreading. In South Africa as of Friday March 5, the country reports 1,520,206 (+1,227) and 50,647 deaths (+81). Young South-African students head back to school. South Africa will make their AstraZeneca vaccine doses available to the African Union. 70,527 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 3 deaths reported in 24h. The country currently counts 2,182,600 infections (+6 in 24) and 190,604 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. 2,162,358 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- Poland currently reports 1,794,914 (+28,424) contamination cases and 45,285 Covid-19 deaths (+373). Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus. From December 28, 2020 the country is back into partial lockdown including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. 2,526,389 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- Algeria reports 114,104 cases in total including 156 the past 24h and 3,010 (+3) deaths since the pandemic broke out.
- Lebanon instates total lockdown starting Thursday January 14, 2021. The country totals 395,588 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 2,377 in 24h and 5,046 (+33) deaths because of coronavirus.
- Brazil reports an-always high new infection toll with 80,508 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Sunday March 7, 2021, 1,086 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 11,019,344 cases in total, and 265,411 deaths according to data given by the government. 8,227,671 people have been given the first shot of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Canada reports 2,489 new cases in 872,734 naming a new record since the pandemic broke out, and 22,239 deaths including 26 in 24h. 1,821,470 people have been inoculated the first dose of vaccine. The border with the USA is closed until March 21.
- Spain reports a total of 3,142,358 (+0) cases. As of Saturday March 6, the country reports 0 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 70,501 deaths. 3,129,092 people have been given the two doses of vaccine.
- Sweden, as of Friday March 5, 2021, 684,961, and 13,003 deaths have been reported. Bars and restaurants must close at 10:30 p.m. from November 10 to February 28, at least. This Friday January 8, Sweden passed a law leading to new temporary powers for the government to fight against the coronavirus epidemic, including the possibility to close restaurants and stores for the first time. 597,424 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine.
- In Switzerland, as the number of cases skyrockets and reaches 392 new cases in 24h for a total of 565,034 cases.The country reports 9,347 deaths including 3 in 24h. Switzerland is closing stores, restaurants and other places of life from 6 p.m. and on Sunday from December 12 to January 22, 2020. Despite the very aggressive second wave, authorities refuse to implement lockdown. 582,436 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Russia, as of Saturday March 6, 2021, reports 0 new cases leading to a total of 4,312,181 cases and 88,726 deaths (+0). Russia has launched the mass-vaccination campaign, and 5,128,138 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Austria reports 1,713 new cases leading to a total of 473,785 cases and 10 deaths in 24h for a total of 8,561 deaths as of Sunday March 7, 2021. 339,470 people have been given the first shot of vaccine. Austria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in stores and public transit. Austria requires people to present PCR- from less than 48h to go to the hair salon. Austrian schools can reopen since this past Monday but all students and teachers must take a test every week.
- The United Kingdom reports 0 new cases in 24h with a total of 4,217,387 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Saturday March 6, 2021, 17 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 124,499 deaths have been reported. 22,213,112 people have been given the first dose of vaccine so far. 20 million people have been vaccinated already. England instates charged quarantine in hotels for UK residents and Irish citizens coming from one of the 33 red-listed countries.
- In Japan, Covid keeps on spreading with 1,036 new cases in 24h, naming the highest toll in 24h in the country since the pandemic broke out. 439,992 cases have been reported, and 8,253 (+26 in 24h) deaths reported as of Saturday March 6. Japan approves a first vaccine: the one developed by Pfizer/BioNTech. 28,530 people have been vaccinated.
- Denmark reports 394 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 214,326 cases. The country has totalled 2,377 deaths including 0 over the past 24h. Denmark chooses to allow intervals between the two doses of the vaccine in order to vaccinate as many people as possible. 512,731 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Denmark is about to launch a "coronapas" a digital pass to travel, go to the restaurant or a cultural venue. Hundreds of opponents have protested this Saturday in the streets of Copenhagen against restrictions and especially the curfew instated.
- Portugal is back into lockdown since Friday January 15, 2021 for the second time and for at least a month. All non-food stores must close. As of Friday March 5, 2021, the country reports 0 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 16,486 deaths since the pandemic broke out; and 0 new cases in 24h, totaling 808,405 confirmed cases. So far, 737,206 people have been vaccinated. Portugal will send 1 million vaccine doses to its former colonies in Africa.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with 8,360 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 1,123,909 cases. The country reports 15,861 deaths including 58 these past 24h. The country instates curfew from 9 p.m. starting this Saturday January 23, 2021 and at least until February 9.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Friday March 5, 2021, the country reports 210 new cases in 24h, totalling 56,506 cases and 657 deaths (+5 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out. 30,723 people have been injected the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App