Julie M. · Published on 23 January 2021 at 10h23
· Updated on 23 January 2021 at 21h21
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. Over 98 million coronavirus cases have been reported and over 2 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Saturday January 23, 2021. France exceeds 3 million cases since the pandemic broke out. Portugal closes schools. The Netherlands goes into curfew. Germany exceeds 50,000 deaths since the pandemic broke out and extends lockdown until mid-February, annoncing new restrictions as well. China halts flights with France. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad in February. London is considering granting €560 to each positive case.
As of Saturday January 23, 2021, Covid-19 infected 98,886,227 people (+588,525). So far, 2,130,336 (+15,564) people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares the official data from the different Health ministers. According to WHO, there will be no herd immunity in 2021 even though vaccines are available.
- Belgium reports - as of Saturday January 23, 2021 - 2,444 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 689,271 cases, as hospitalizations are peaking like for the first wave. There have been 55 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 20,675 deaths. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad, including within Europe in February. 163,240 people have been injected the first dose of vaccine.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 96 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Saturday January 23, 2021, China reports 88,911 cases and 4,635 deaths (+0). The country reports this Thursday January 14, 2021 its first death since May 17, 2020. 15,000,000 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine in the country. China halts Air France flights between Paris and Tianjin following Covid-19 cases.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 199,492 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Saturday January 23, 2021, the country reports 25,389,990 cases. The country reports 4,208 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 424,177 deaths. After approving the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the US approves Moderna's. The US requires negative test from all travelers entering the country by plane. 19,107,959 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. In the US, the Covid toll is bigger than the toll of US soliders who died during WWII.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 3,011,257 cases have been reported including 23,292 the past 24h. As of Friday January 22, 649 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 21,976 (+330) deaths. 50,671 people have died in hospitals (+319 in 24h) leading to a global total of 72,647 deaths. In France, 963,139 people have been vaccinated.
- Morocco reports this Friday January 22, 1,138 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 464,844 cases. The country also reports 8,105 deaths, +29 in 24h. Morocco's massive vacination campaign is being detailed. Morocco receives 2 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine.
- The United Kingdom reports 40,261 new cases in 24h with a total of 3,583,907 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Friday January 22, 2021, 1,401 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 95,981 deaths have been reported. Mutation of the virus in Southern England has the British authorities worried. As many British people are reluctant to get tested as they fear they will not be able to work, London is considering granting £500 to each positive case. 4,973,248 people have been vaccinated so far.
- Portugal goes back into lockdown from Friday January 15, 2021 for the second time and for at least a month. All non-food stores must close. This Friday January 22, 2021, the country reports a new death peak including 234 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 9,920 deaths since the pandemic broke out; and 12,987 new cases in 24h, totaling 609,136 confirmed cases. So far, 106,000 people have been vaccinated. Hospitals are about to be overcrowded. The country closes schools and plans to postpone the school calendar in order not to penalize students for whom no distance classes is planned.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with 5,744 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 938,628 cases. The country reports 13,422 deaths including 85 these past 24h. The country instates curfew from 9 p.m. starting this Saturday January 23, 2021. 10,000 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine.
- In Switzerland, as the number of cases skyrockets and reaches 2,156 new cases in 24h for a total of 509,279 cases.The country reports 9,012 deaths including 41 in 24h. Switzerland is closing stores, restaurants and other places of life from 6 p.m. and on Sunday from December 12 to January 22, 2020. Despite the very aggressive second wave, authorities refuse to implement lockdown. 110,000 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Switzerland is planning to instate compulsory quarantine to travelers coming from South of France, starting February.
- Denmark reports 773 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 193,038 cases. The country has totalled 1,941 deaths including 32 over the past 24h. Denmark is to make new restrictions including "partial targeted lockdown exit" in the 3 main cities of the country. The country will close stores past Christmas. Denmark chooses to allow intervals between the two doses of the vaccine in order to vaccinate as many people as possible. 185,777 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Homeless people are given the vaccine first.
Data as of January 23, 2021:
- Russia, as of Saturday January 2", 2021, reports 20,921 new cases leading to a total of 3,698,273 cases and 68,971 deaths (+559). Russia has launched the mass-vaccination campaign, and 1 million people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- In Germany, the new case toll skyrockets: 16,319 new infections in 24 hours. As of Saturday January 23, the country reports 2,130,944 cases, along with 52,288 (+887). Initially said to be closed from November 2 to 30, bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues will remain shut until February 14, 2021, and might last until April 2021. The country makes measures harder by closing schools and non-necessary stores. Angela Merkel endorses reinforced restrictions in the country as over 2 million cases have been reported. So far, 1,501,639 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine.
- Brazil reports an-always high new infection toll with 56,518 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Saturday January 23, 2021, 1,089 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 8,761,160 cases in total, and 215,406 deaths according to data given by the government. On January 8 and 9, 2021 Brazil exceeds 200,000 deaths since the pandemic broke out. Brazil cancels the traditional Carnival originally planned from February 13 to 16, 2021. Brazil launches its vaccine campaign and vaccinates 245,877 people.
- Israel records 589,028 cases since the epidemic broke out, including 6,159 over the past 24h and 4,266 deaths (+21). The country that already vaccinated over 2 million people anming 25% of the population hopes to become the "first country to exit the crisis". So far, 3,361,226 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine.
- In India, the new case curve keeps on regularly decreasing. This Saturday January 23, India records 10,640,496 cases (+14,326 in 24 hours), and 153,221 deaths including 154 in 24 hours. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and emergency allows the new AstraZeneca vaccine. India launches a mass vaccine campaign and vaccinates 1,043,534 people in 24 hours.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 1,007 deaths reported in 24h, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 1,900,755 infections (+17,317 in 24h) and 158,854 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. 552,335 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- Zimbabwe is back into lockdown for the next 30 days starting Sunday January 3, 2021. The country records 30,523 coronavirus cases including 1,115 over the past 24h and totals 962 deaths since the pandemic broke out, including 83 since yesterday.
- The epidemic is active in Africa and keeps on spreading. In South Africa as of Saturday January 23, the country reports 1,392,568 (+11,761) and 40,076 deaths (+575). In South Africa a new more "worrying" and "transmissible" variant of the virus has been reported. South Africa expects first vaccines to be delivered by February and wishes to vaccinate 67% of the population in 2021. South Africa is closing its lad borders for a month to limit the spread of the variant.
- Canada reports 5,957 new cases in 737,394 naming a new record since the pandemic broke out, and 18,828 deaths including 206 in 24h. Faced with a surge in cases, Quebec enters total lockdown for four weeks including curfew starting January 9, 2021. 738,864 people have been inoculated the first dose of vaccine.
- South Korea, as of Saturday January 23, reports 430 new infections. 74,692 cases in total, and 1,337 deaths (+9 in 24h) have been reported. Faced with the 3rd wave - even more destructive than the previous two - the country reinforces social-distancing restrictions. In the capital, Seoul, the ban of gatherings of over 4 people is extended. The domestic vaccine campaign is set to begin from February.
- Slightly impacted by coronavirus, Thailand officially reports 13,302 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 198 over the past 24h. Faced with increasing case toll since December 20, 2020, Bangkok has announced the first partial lockdown. Bars, nightclubs and restaurants close from January 2 and the sale of alcohol will be banned in Bangkok. The country totals 72 (+1) deaths.
- Poland currently reports 1,464,448 (+6,423) contamination cases and 34,908 Covid-19 deaths (+337). Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus. From December 28, 2020 the country is back into partial lockdown including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. 644,999 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
Data as of January 22, 2021:
- Spain reports a total of 2,499,560 cases and 42,885 new cases in 24h. As of Friday January 22, the country reports 400 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 55,441 deaths. The country reports over 50,000 deaths. Spain will keep a book of people refusing to get vaccinated that will be shared with other European countries.
- Lebanon instates total lockdown starting Thursday January 14, 2021. Any outing is banned, Lebanese are not even allowed to go grocery shopping. The country totals 272,461 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 3,220 in 24h and 2,208 (+57) deaths because of coronavirus.
- Italy reports this Friday January 22, 2021, 13,633 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 472 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 84,674 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 2,411,854 cases have been confirmed so far. Italy extends restrictions initially planned up to January 6, 2021. 1,308,262 people have been given the first injection of vaccine.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Friday January 22, 2021, the country reports 115 new cases in 24h, totalling 49,438 cases and 562 deaths (+0 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out. 6,193 people have been injected the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Greece records 562 new cases in 24h leading to 151,041 cases since the pandemic broke out. The country totals 5,598 deaths including 28 over the past 24h hours. The country exceeds, this Monday January 4, 2021, 5,000 deaths. 123,347 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- In Japan, Covid keeps on spreading with 5,799 new cases in 24h, naming the highest toll in 24h in the country since the pandemic broke out. 351,020 cases have been reported, and 4,830 (+87 in 24h) deaths reported as of January 22. Japan is faced with the 3rd wave, closes borders to non-citizens from December 28 to late January 2021. This Thursday January 7, 2021 the Japanese Prime Minister declares state of emergency in Tokyo and its suburbs.
- Sweden, as of Friday January 22, 2021, 547,166 (+4,214), and 11,005 (+84 in 24h) deaths have been reported since Friday. Bars and restaurants must close at 10:30 p.m. from November 10 to February 28, at least. This Friday January 8, Sweden passed a law leading to new temporary powers for the government to fight against the coronavirus epidemic, including the possibility to close restaurants and stores for the first time. 146,775 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine.
- Austria reports 2,088 new cases leading to a total of 401,886 cases and 42 deaths in 24h for a total of 7,330 deaths as of Friday January 22, 2021. Austria exceeds the 4,000-death-mark. Austria has entered its third lockdown on December 26, 2020, since the pandemic broke out. It is said to last at least until January 18. 161,695 people have been given the first shot of vaccine.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App