The Opéra de Paris is in a very bad way because of coronavirus… The general manager of the Parisian institution, Stéphane Lissner, said this morning, Tuesday May 5, 2020, on France Inter that “The Opéra de Paris will find itself lacking of working capital and a 40-million-euro loss” while guaranteeing “there will be no bankruptcy”.
This loss can be explained by the crisis of course, but not only, since the manager also says – still on France Inter – that the institution “self-finance to over 60%”. He adds that for ten years, the State has cut up to 15 million euros off its financial participation. A loss of income that played a part in this deficiency.
And to solve it, the Opera shall reopen as soon as possible… But so far, this is not on the agenda since Stéphane Lissner thinks that at the moment, the health protocol cannot be applied to the audience, the staff or dancers, singers and other artists performing on stage. “I am not ready to close, but I must be aware that we cannot have 2,500 people at Bastille” he said.
At the earliest, it could reopen in September, and close inevitably for “two to three more months”, just to carry out works planned for summer 2021 and fit areas to welcome the public again. Whatever happens, we shall wait for the French President’s address on Wednesday May 6 regarding the cultural world to see things clearer. For the record, the Opéra de Paris includes 600 artists, 200 temporary show business workers and 1,600 employees. A whole world that only expects one thing: resuming work.