Julie M., My B. · Published on 1 October 2020 at 17h20
· Updated on 1 October 2020 at 23h22
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis for months. Discover updates on countries impacted by the coronavirus epidemic this Thursday October 1, 2020. Over 34 million cases have been reported and over 1 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide according to The Coronavirus App. The new case toll has never been this high, and some countries are facing new waves as they seemed to have curbed the epidemic.
In the world, as of Thursday October 1, 2020, Covid-19 infected 34,244,186 people. So far, 1,024,622 people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. The new infection toll skyrockets in America. WHO urges to take control over the epidemic. Some countries are facing new contamination waves.
- Italy reports this Thursday October 1, 2,548 new infections have been reported in 24 hours especially in the north of the country, and 24 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 35,918 since the beginning of the epidemic. As of today, 317,409 cases have been confirmed so far. Italy is resisting against the Covid-19 as it spreads across Europe.
- The United Kingdom reports 6,914 new cases in 24h as of Thursday October 1, 2020 with a total of 460,178 cases, and 59 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 42,202 deaths. The Covid-19 tracking app has been downloaded over 12 million times in five days. In the UK, thousands of students are kept on lockdown by force in their campuses. The goal being to halt the spread of coronavirus.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 43,942 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Thursday October 1, the country reports 7,447,644 cases. The country reports 993 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 211,752 deaths. This Monday, president Trump announced the US will get 150 million quick tests to detect coronavirus within 15 minutes, a method similar to pregnancy tests, much quicker than molecular tests used since the beginning of the pandemic. Disney cuts 28,000 jobs in the United-States.
- In India, the death toll keeps on growing. The country reports on Thursday October 1, 6,312,481 cases (+86,748 in 24 hours), and 98,716 deaths including 1,179 in 24 hours. In India, some neighborhoods and cities have reached over 50% of people contaminated by accident. In shanty towns, inhabitants seem to face coronavirus better. Some people wonder if the population is immune.
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 33,413 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Thursday October 1, 1.031 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 4,810,935 cases in total, and 143,952 deaths according to data given by the government. The city of Manaus in Brazil is said to have reached herd immunity. As a matter of fact 66% of inhabitants of the city - where the pandemic has been as brutal as quick - are said to have antibodies against coronavirus.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 563,535 cases have been reported (+12,845 in 24h) and 31,956 people have died. As of Wednesday September 30, 63 deaths in 24 hours have been reported in hospitals. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 10,692 deaths, it will be updated next Tuesday. 21,264 people have died in hospitals (+63).
- Morocco is experiencing an increasing number of infections since the health emergency has been made softer which has been extended for another month this Wednesday September 9, 2020. This Wednesday September 30, the country reports 2,470 new cases in 24 hours, a total of 123,653 cases. The country also reports 2,194 deaths (+52in 24h). Pharmacists urge to be associated to the right of proceeding to quick examination against Covid-19 in order to report any possible positive case.
- Spain reports as of Wednesday September 30, 11,016 new cases, including 3,897 in 24h, that is to say 769,188 cases in total. The country reports 177 deaths in 24h , leading to a total of 31,791 deaths. Spain is experiencing a second coronavirus wave, with Madrid as the epicenter. Spain is about to make health measures even harsher in Madrid and highly impacted areas.
Data as for Thursday October 1, 2020:
- Russia, as of Thursday October 1, reports 8,945 new cases leading to a total of 1,185,231 cases and 20,891 deaths (+169). Russia says their second vaccine has completed trials for phase 2.
- Romania is currently on alert. The country reports 129,658 cases (+2,086) and 4,862 deaths (+37) because of Covid-19. So far, the number of new daily cases keeps on skyrocketing. Hungary and Romania have been recording their worst quarterly growth since 1989.
- Poland currently reports 93,481 (+1,967) contamination cases and 2,543 Covid-19 deaths (+30). The country is experiencing an increase in the number of contaminations over the past days. Despite so, the country excludes a new lockdown. Poland bans direct flights from several countries including France.
- Iran reports 211 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 26,380 deaths and 461,044 cases reported (+3,825 in 24h). Iran is preparing new lockdown measures: this Saturday Iranian president Hassan Rohani has allowed provices to impose lockdown measures every time it is necessary to halt the quick increase in novel coronavirus infection cases.
- Sweden is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of today, Thursday October 1, 93,615 cases (+752) and 5,893 deaths (+3 in 24h) have been reported. Facing Covid-19, Sweden promotes a "long-lasting" strategy.
- In Germany, the new case toll stays high with 2,049 new infections in 24 hours. As of Thursday October 1, the country reports 293,103 cases, along with 9,656 deaths (+17). The country is experiencing a resurgence of the epidemic and implements new restrictions aiming at limiting the number of partygoers in private and public places.
- The epidemic is spreading in Africa. South Africa is the cradle of the pandemic on the African continent where the toll of new cases skyrockets and peaks. This Thursday October 1, the country reports 674,339 cases (+1,767) and 16,734 deaths (+67). South Africa is partially reopening its borders. Travelers - who can only arrive in three airports - will have to present a negative Covid-19 test dating from at least 72 hours.
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 103,198 cases (+115) and 5,930 deaths including 16 these past 24 hours. The plasma cure gives hope in Egypt.
- Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 3,054 new cases today. As of Thursday October 1, the country reports 814,829 contamination cases, 32,463 deaths (+67). The country has exceeded the 20,000-death mark. Over 3,000 volunteers test the Chinese vaccine in Peru.
- South Korea, as of Thursday October 1, reports 77 new infections. 23,889 cases in total, and 415 deaths (+2 in 24h) have been reported. South Korea proposes Russia to team up to develop vaccines against Covid.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 9 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Thursday October 1, China reports 85,412 cases and 4,634 deaths (+0 in 4 months). China calls not to "worsen the disaster" with accusations. China has developed "Flash 20", a 38,000-euro machine able to detect coronavirus quickly and directly alert the patient on their smartphones in 30 minutes only.
- Belgium reports - as of Thursday October 1 - 1,337 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 118,452 cases. There have been 15 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 10,016 deaths. The case and hospitalization curve is flattening, but the death curve does not. This Wednesday September 30, Belgium exceeds the 10,000-death mark.
- Japan as of Thursday October 1 reports 516 new cases in 24 hours. 83,010 cases have been reported in total, and 1,564 deaths (+7 in 24h). Japan is determined to host the 2021 Olympics.
- Venezuela reports 759 new cases in 24 hours, leading to 75,122 cases. The country - reporting 7 deaths in 24 hours and a total death toll of 628 - orders strict quarantine all over the country. Venezuela will test the Russian, Chinese and Cuban vaccines against coronavirus. "One mask a week": in Venezuela, doctors are dying and are not armed to face Covid-19.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 334 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 834,622 infections (+4,331 in 24h) and 82,942 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. Diabetes affects 10.4% of Mexicans, WHO says, a comorbidity factor for coronavirus. In Mexico, two thirds of deaths were diabetic.
Data as of Wednesday September 30, 2020:
- Algeria faces a decreasing trend in new contamination cases. As of Wednesday September 30, 51,530 cases (+162) and 1,736 deaths (+10) because of the epidemic have been reported. The decision to reopen borders is postponed to the end of the epidemic. Coronavirus led hundreds of Sub-Saharan inhabitants to leave Algeria for Tunisia.
- Chile, as of Wednesday September 30, 2020, reports 1,691 new cases in 24 hours, and reports 462,991 cases and 12,741 deaths (+16). This Tuesday, Chile has exceeded the 400-000 confirmed coronavirus case-mark. Santiago de Chile is almost fully out of lockdown.
- Portugal reports a growing number of new cases. As of Wednesday September 30, 825 new infections have been reported, leading to a total of 75,542 cases and 1,971 deaths (+8) have been reported. The Portuguese government has extended this Thursday and until mid-October all gathering and stores' opening hours restrictions to fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, as the country is facing - like the rest of Europe - to a daily increase in infections.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App