Julie M., My B. · Published on 29 September 2020 at 18h15
· Updated on 29 September 2020 at 20h07
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis for months. Discover updates on countries impacted by the coronavirus epidemic this Tuesday September 29, 2020. Over 33 million cases have been reported and over 1 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide according to The Coronavirus App. The new case toll has never been this high, and some countries are facing new waves as they seemed to have curbed the epidemic.
In the world, as of Tuesday September 29, 2020, Covid-19 infected 33,640,389 people. So far, 1,012,368 people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. The new infection toll skyrockets in America. WHO urges to take control over the epidemic. Some countries are facing new contamination waves.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 38,384 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Tuesday September 29, the country reports 7,361,584 cases. The country reports 292 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 209,453 deaths. This Monday, president Trump announced the US will get 150 million quick tests to detect coronavirus within 15 minutes, a method similar to pregnancy tests, much quicker than molecular tests used since the beginning of the pandemic.
- In India, the death toll keeps on growing. The country reports on Tuesday September 29, 6,148,640 cases (+69,671 in 24 hours), and 96,378 deaths including 777 in 24 hours. In India, some neighborhoods and cities have reached over 50% of people contaminated by accident. In shanty towns, inhabitants seem to face coronavirus better. Some people wonder if the population is immune.
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 13,155 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Tuesday September 29, 317 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 4,745,464 cases in total, and 142,058 deaths according to data given by the government. The city of Manaus in Brazil is said to have reached herd immunity. As a matter of fact 66% of inhabitants of the city - where the pandemic has been as brutal as quick - are said to have antibodies against coronavirus.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 542,639 cases have been reported (+4,070 in 24h) and 31,808 people have died. As of Monday September 28, 81 deaths in 24 hours have been reported in hospitals. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 10,666 deaths (+95), it will be updated next Tuesday. 21,142 people have died in hospitals (+81).
- Morocco is experiencing an increasing number of infections since the health emergency has been made softer which has been extended for another month this Wednesday September 9, 2020. This Monday September 28, the country reports 1,422 new cases in 24 hours, a total of 119,107 cases. The country also reports 2,113 deaths (+44 in 24h). Morocco has experienced its worth day on Monday September 28, 2020 with 44 deaths following coronavirus contamination.
- Italy reports this Monday September 28, 1,494 new infections have been reported in 24 hours especially in the north of the country, and 16 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 35,851 since the beginning of the epidemic. As of today, 311,364 cases have been confirmed so far. Italy is resisting against the Covid-19 as it spreads across Europe.
- The United Kingdom reports 4,044 new cases in 24h as of Monday September 28, 2020 with a total of 439,013 cases, and 16 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 42,001 deaths. The Covid-19 tracking app has been downloaded over 12 million times in five days.
- Spain reports as of Monday September 28, 44,057 new cases, including 2,425 in 24h, that is to say 748,266 cases in total. The country reports 179 deaths in 24h , leading to a total of 31,411 deaths. Spain is experiencing a second coronavirus wave, with Madrid as the epicenter.
Data as for Tuesday September 29, 2020:
- Portugal reports a growing number of new cases. As of Tuesday September 29, 2,873 new infections have been reported, leading to a total of 74,029 cases and 1,957 deaths (+26) have been reported. The Portuguese government has extended this Thursday and until mid-October all gathering and stores' opening hours restrictions to fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, as the country is facing - like the rest of Europe - to a daily increase in infections.
- In Germany, the new case toll stays high with 2,115 new infections in 24 hours. As of Tuesday September 29, the country reports 288,197 cases, along with 9,627 deaths (+7). Angela Merkel's government describes the evolution of the novel coronavirus epidemic in Germany as "very worrying".
- The epidemic is spreading in Africa. South Africa is the cradle of the pandemic on the African continent where the toll of new cases skyrockets and peaks. This Tuesday September 29, the country reports 671,669 cases (+903) and 16,586 deaths (+188). South Africa is partially reopening its borders. Travelers - who can only arrive in three airports - will have to present a negative Covid-19 test dating from at least 72 hours.
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 102,955 cases (+111) and 5,901 deaths including 18 these past 24 hours. The plasma cure gives hope in Egypt.
- Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 3,412 new cases today. As of Tuesday September 29, the country reports 808,714 contamination cases, 32,324 deaths (+62). The country has exceeded the 20,000-death mark. Over 3,000 volunteers test the Chinese vaccine in Peru.
- South Korea, as of Tuesday September 29, reports 38 new infections. 23,699 cases in total, and 407 deaths (+1 in 24h) have been reported. South Korea proposes Russia to team up to develop vaccines against Covid.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 12 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Tuesday September 29, China reports 85,384 cases and 4,634 deaths (+0 in 4 months). China calls not to "worsening the disaster" with accusations.
- Belgium reports - as of Tuesday September 29 - 1,174 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 115,353 cases. There have been 7 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 9,987 deaths. The case and hospitalization curve is flattening, but the death curve does not.
- Japan as of Tuesday September 29 reports 441 new cases in 24 hours. 82,131 cases have been reported in total, and 1,548 deaths (+3 in 24h). Japan is determined to host the 2021 Olympics.
- Venezuela reports 837 new cases in 24 hours, leading to 72,528 cases. The country - reporting 8 deaths in 24 hours and a total death toll of 614 - orders strict quarantine all over the country. Venezuela will test the Russian, Chinese and Cuban vaccines against coronavirus. "One mask a week": in Venezuela, doctors are dying and are not armed to face Covid-19.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 1,055 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 825,735 infections (+2,494 in 24h) and 82,186 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. Diabetes affects 10.4% of Mexicans, WHO says, a comorbidity factor for coronavirus.
Data as of Monday September 28, 2020:
- Algeria faces a decreasing trend in new contamination cases. As of Monday September 28, 51,213 cases (+146) and 1,719 deaths (+5) because of the epidemic have been reported. The decision to reopen borders is postponed to the end of the epidemic. Coronavirus led hundreds of Sub-Saharan inhabitants to leave Algeria for Tunisia.
- Chile, as of Monday September 28, 2020, reports 1,770 new cases in 24 hours, and reports 459,671 cases and 12,698 deaths (+57). This Tuesday, Chile has exceeded the 400-000 confirmed coronavirus case-mark. Coronavirus has sparked hunger in the country.
- Romania is currently on alert. The country reports 123,944 cases (+1,271) and 4,748 deaths (+30) because of Covid-19. So far, the number of new daily cases keeps on skyrocketing. Hungary and Romania have been recording their worst quarterly growth since 1989.
- Iran reports 190 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 25,779 deaths and 449,960 cases reported (+3,512 in 24h). Iran is preparing new lockdown measures: this Saturday Iranian president Hassan Rohani has allowed provices to impose lockdown measures every time it is necessary to halt the quick increase in novel coronavirus infection cases.
- Poland currently reports 88,636 (+1,306) contamination cases and 2,447 Covid-19 deaths (+15). The country is experiencing an increase in the number of contaminations over the past days. Despite so, the country excludes a new lockdown. Poland bans direct flights from several countries including France.
- Russia, as of Monday September 28, reports 8,135 new cases leading to a total of 1,159,573 cases and 20,385 deaths (+61). Russia promises to manufacture hundreds of thousands of doses of vaccine this Fall. The Russian vaccine against coronavirus is being tested since Wednesday on 40,000 Muscovites. Russian president Vladimir Putin has had the Russian vaccine injected before his trip to South Korea.
Data as of Friday September 25, 2020:
- Sweden is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of today, Friday September 25, 90,923 cases (+634) and 5,880 deaths (+2 in 24h) have been reported. Facing Covid-19, Sweden promotes a "long-lasting" strategy.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App