Julie M. · Published on 24 November 2020 at 08h43
· Updated on 24 November 2020 at 08h43
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. Over 59 million coronavirus cases have been reported and over 1.4 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Monday November 23, 2020. In Germany, antimask-protestors compare themselves to resistance fighters against nazism. South Korea and Japan are fighting against the third epidemic wave.
As of Monday November 23, 2020, Covid-19 infected 59,185,124people (+525,498). So far, 1,403,368 (+7,426) people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. The WHO announces an absolute record of new cases of infection in 24h in the world on Saturday including about 661,000 new contaminations.
While India is still in the midlle of the first wave, Europe has already started the second wave of infections, as the United-States, Japan and South Korea are faced with the third wave! The search for a potential vaccine is escalating and some countries say they are ready to start human testing phases.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 11 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Monday November 23, China reports 86,422 cases and 4,634 deaths (+0). China has decided to stop the arrival of foreign tourists coming from the UK and Belgium and to reinforce conditions to enter the country to several other countries.
- The United Kingdom reports 18,662 new cases in 24h with a total of 1,512,045 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Sunday November 22, 2020, 398 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 55,024 deaths have been reported. England is back into lockdown until December 2. "Contact cases" will be screened every day to avoid quarantine in Liverpool.
- Canada reports 4,771 new cases in 330,360, and 11,455 deaths including 49 over the past 24h. Quebec Prime Minister has announced restrictions will be extended in red alert areas in Montreal and Quebec, for four more weeks. Toronto is back in lockdown this Monday for at least 28 days.
- Spain reports a total of 1,556,730 cases and 15,156 new cases in 24h. The country reports 328 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 42,619 deaths. Spain makes PCR test mandatory for travelers from France. Spain is ready to launch a massive vaccine campaign. Catalonia is starting a progressive lockdown exit this Monday including the reopening of bars and restaurants with a very limited number of patrons.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 144,392 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Monday November 23, the country reports 12,589,036 cases. The country reports 933 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 262,701 deaths. The US hopes to start the vaccine campaign against coronavirus in mid-December.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 2,140,208 cases have been reported (+13,157 including 11,829 RT-PCR confirmed cases in 24h and 1,328 cases confirmed with antigenic tests) and 48,732 people have died. As of Sunday November 22, 215 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 15,287 deaths. 33,445 people have died in hospitals (+215 in 24h). France is getting ready to receive foreign sick.
- Japan as of Sunday November 22 reports 2,514 new cases in 24 hours. 130,179 cases have been reported in total, and 1,974 deaths (+11 in 24h). Japan is faced with the third wave and records its highest record in 24h since the pandemic broke out.
- Denmark reports 1,169 new cases in 24h, leading to a total of 71,654 cases. The country has totalled 789 deaths including 5 over the past 24h. In Denmark, the minister of agriculture is stepping down following the "mink crisis". Many Danish farmers have protested from their tractors this Saturday November 21, 2020 to protest against the government's decision to slaughter their minks.
- In Australia, the country currently reports 27,835 cases including 14 in 24h, and 907 deaths, including none in 24h. The state of Adelaide in lockdown first for 6 days since Wednesday November 18, 2020 is getting out earlier than expected. As a matter of fact a pizzaiolo has lied on the origin of his contamination, misleading local authorities that decided to put the area back into lockdown to protect inhabitants.
- Turkey is in partial lockdown since Friday November 20, 2020. Restaurants, cafés, shopping malls and hair salons are to close at 5 p.m. As of Monday November 23, 2020 the country totals 6,017 new cases and 139 deaths in 24 hours. Totalling 12,358 deaths and 446,822 cases in the country since the pandemic broke out.
Data as of November 23, 2020:
- In Switzerland, as the number of cases skyrockets and reaches 9,751 new cases in 24h for a total of 300,352 cases, the government once again calls for the army to evacuate sick for the second time since the pandemic broke out. The Swiss Federeal Council allowed on Wednesday the deployment of 2,500 soldiers. The country reports 4,124 deaths including 68 over the past 24h. Switzerland is overwhelmed by the second wave and exceeds 300,000 cases.
- Iran reports 453 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 45,255 deaths and 866,821 cases reported (+12,460 in 24h). Facing the sharp increase in contaminations and deaths, the Iranian government has announced new restrictions, including the closure of cafés and gyms, as well as mandatory facemask-wearing in Teheran starting Saturday. Most Middle-Eastern country infected, Iran has been facing a resurgence of the epidemic since September.
- Poland currently reports 876,333 (+15,002) contamination cases and 13,774 Covid-19 deaths (+156). This Wednesday, Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus, including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. This Saturday November 14, 2020 the country reports its highest death toll in 24h since the pandemic broke out. Despite it all, the nationalist and ultra-conservative government refuses to transfer sick to Germany.
- Austria reports 3,145 new cases leading to a total of 250,333 cases and 71 deaths in 24h for a total of 2,459 deaths as of Monday November 23. The country records a new death toll record in 24h this Wednesday November 18, 2020 and moves to strict lockdown with closure of schools and non-necessary stores starting November 17 and up to December 6, 2020. In order to shorten lockdown, Austria plans to lead a massive testing campaign.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with 5,170 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 489,818 cases. The country reports 8,945 deaths including 54 these past 24h. The country is making the partial lockdown harder and announces museums, movie theaters, zoos and other places receiving the public will have to close for two weeks.
- In Germany, the new case toll stays high with 14,394 new infections in 24 hours. As of Monday November 23, the country reports 933,239 cases, along with 14,365 deaths (+99). Angela Merkel closes bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venus from November 2 to 30. Antimasks are comparing themselves to resistance fighters against nazis.
- In India, the new case curve seems to stabilize. This Monday November 23, India records 9,140,312 cases (+44,404 in 24 hours), and 133,774 deaths including 511 in 24 hours. India exceeds 9 million coronavirus cases since the pandemic broke out. The capital's private hospitals now have to save 80% if ICU beds and 60% of standard beds to people infected with coronavirus. Any non-urgent surgery has to be postponed.
- Russia, as of Monday November 23, reports 25,173 new cases leading to a total of 2,114,502 cases and 36,540 deaths (+361). Record-breaking infection in Russia: 24,822 new covid-19 cases have been reported in 24h, that is to say almost twice as many as the peak of 11,607 from May 11. This Saturday November 21, the country breaks a new death toll record in 24h. Parents are protesting against distance learning they find unfair and poor quality.
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 17,565 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Monday November 23, 177 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 6,072,727 cases in total, and 169,261 deaths according to data given by the government.
- South Korea, as of Monday November 23, reports 271 new infections. 31,004 cases in total, and 509 deaths (+4 in 24h) have been reported. South Korea proposes Russia to team up to develop vaccines against Covid. After making Covid-19 restrictions softer in South Korea, the public can return starting this Friday in K-League stadiums. This November 14, 2020 the country reports its highest contamination toll in 24h since September 2, 2020. Following a resurgence in new infections over the past few days, the country moves to level 1 to 1.5 (in a scale of 5) of the health measures.
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 113,027 cases (+351) and 6,548 deaths including 13 these past 24 hours. The plasma cure gives hope in Egypt. This Thursday November 19, 2020, the country records the highest number of positive cases in 24 hours since June 30, 2020.
- The epidemic is spreading in Africa and keeps on spreading. South Africa is the cradle of the pandemic on the African continent but the curve seems to stabilize since mid-August 2020. This Monday November 23, the country reports 767,679 (+2,279) and 20,903 deaths (+58).
Belgium reports - as of November 23 - 1,875 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 558,779 cases, as hospitalizations are peaking like for the first wave. There have been 96 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 15,618 deaths. Belgium is following France and is placed back into lockdown stating for a month, from Monday November 2 to December 13, with assessment on December 1. An effective new lockdown, Belgian health authorities spokesperson Yves Va Laethem says noticing infections, hospitalizations and deaths are decreasing.
Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 1,589 new cases today. As of Monday November 23, the country reports 949,670 contamination cases, 35,595 deaths (+46). The country has exceeded the 30,000-death mark. Peruvians appointed centrist FranciscoSagasti as their new President, the 3rd one in a week.
Data as of November 22, 2020:
- Lebanon is facing skyrocketing Covid-19 cases impacting hospitals which ICUs are almost overcrowded. Lebanon officially recorded 116,476 cases of coronavirus (+1,193 in 24h), and 900 deaths including 4 in 24h for about six million inhabitants, including a third being Syrian or Palestinian migrants often living in overcrowded camps. The Lebanese government announced this Tuesday a "total" lockdown of the country along with "exemptions" for two weeks to face the increase in Covid-19 cases.
- Morocco reports this Sunday November 22, 3,979 new contaminations in 24h have been reported, a total of 324,941 cases. The country also reports 5,316 deaths +60 in 24h.
- Italy reports this Sunday November 22, 28,337 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 562 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 49,823 since the beginning of the epidemic. As of today, 1,408,868 cases have been confirmed so far. Doctors have been calling for a total lockdown as the situation is "out of control".
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 396 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 1,143,885 infections (+4,761 in 24h) and 108,470 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. A 54-year-old woman is the first Mexican to be infected both by Covid-19 and H1N1, Authorities said on Sunday. Mexico exceeds the 100,000-death mark due to Covid-19.
- In Tunisia, Prime Minister Hichem Mechichi called all (regional) governors to announce curfew from 7 p.m. to 4 a.m. from Monday to Friday, and from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m. on weekends, without giving details as for the duration of the measure. Trip restrictions, closure of schools until November 8 and distance classes for two weeks in universities. The country records this Sunday November 22, 1,240 new cases, 88,711 cases have been officialy reported so far, including 2,821 deaths (+69 in 24h).
Data as of November 20, 2020:
- Sweden is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of Friday November 20, 208,295 cases (+7,240) in 24 hours, and 6,406 (+66 in 24h) deaths have been reported. Southern Sweden inhabitants are now urged to limit contacts and avoid public transit and closed places, the health authorities say, as the Scandinavian realm is experiencing an increasing number of Covid-19 cases. In a surprise move, gatherings are now limited to 8 people.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App