Julie M. · Published on 5 December 2020 at 08h38
· Updated on 5 December 2020 at 13h12
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. Over 66 million coronavirus cases have been reported and over 1.5 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Saturday December 5, 2020. Absolute death toll and case toll record in 24h hours around the globe since the pancemic broke out. Mexico city urges people to stay in.
As of Saturday December 5, 2020, Covid-19 infected 66,394,035 people (+1,389,795). So far, 1,533,465 (+24,932) people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. This week, the world has noticed the epidemic was slightly weakening.
While India is still in the midlle of the first wave, Europe has already started the second wave of infections, as the United-States, Japan and South Korea are faced with the third wave! The search for a potential vaccine is escalating and some countries say they are ready to start human testing phases.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 590 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 1,279,866 infections (+10,127 in 24h) and 116,583 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. Mexico City urges people to stay in.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 236,125 infections reported in 24 hours - a record since the pandemic broke out that we expect to increase within a couple of weeks because of Thanksgiving. As of Saturday December 5, the country reports 14,772,476 cases. The country reports 2,794 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 285,551 deaths. The country reports its highest death toll in 24h since late April 2020. Joe Biden will ask Americans to wear a facemask for the first 100 days of his mandate. San Francisco is back in lockdown.
- South Korea, as of Saturday December 5, reports 583 new infections. 36,915 cases in total, and 410 deaths (+4 in 24h) have been reported. South Korea proposes Russia to team up to develop Covid vaccines. South Korea cancels Christmas gatherings.
- Canada reports 6,291 new cases in 402,350, and 12,496 deaths including 89 over the past 24h. Quebec Prime Minister has announced restrictions will be extended in red alert areas in Montreal and Quebec, for four more weeks. Toronto is back in lockdown this Monday for at least 28 days. Quebec cancels Christmas gatherings.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 2,268,552 cases have been reported (+11,221 including 9,002 confirmed by RT-PCR in 24h and 2,219 confirmed by antigenic tests) and 54,767 people have died. As of Friday December 4, 627 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 17,159 deaths. 37,608 people have died in hospitals (+282 in 24h).
- Spain reports a total of 1,684,647 cases and 8,745 new cases in 24h. The country reports 214 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 46,252 deaths. Spain makes PCR test mandatory for travelers from France. Spain has announced the vaccine campaign will begin in January 2021.
- Morocco reports this Friday December 4, 3,996 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 372,620 cases. The country also reports 6,136 deaths +73 in 24h. Morocco hopes to launch a vaccine campaign by the end of the year.
- Italy reports this Friday December 4, 24,009 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 814 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 58,852 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 1,688,939 cases have been confirmed so far.Italy is implementing strict restrictions for the Holidays including curfew (including for Christmas eve and New Year's Eve) and ban of going from one city to the other on December 25and 26, as well as January 1, 2021.
- The United Kingdom reports 16,298 new cases in 24h with a total of 1,690,432 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Friday December 4, 2020, 504 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 60,617 deaths have been reported. England starts to exit lockdown this December 2. The UK is the first country in the world to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.
- Turkey - in partial lockdown since Friday November 20, 2020 - reports always-growing new-daily case toll. Turkish president Erdogan announces new restrictions including total curfew during weekends and partiel in the weeks. As of Friday December 4, 2020 the country totals 32,736 new cases and 193 deaths in 24 hours. Totalling 14,509 deaths and 765,997 cases.
Data as of December 5, 2020:
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 47,370 cases in 24 hours, a record since the pandemic broke out. It reports this Saturday December 5, 675 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 6,538,148 cases in total, and 176,048 deaths according to data given by the government.
- In Germany, the new case toll skyrockets: 10,561 new infections in 24 hours. As of Saturday December 5, the country reports 1,154,967 cases, along with 18,773 deaths (+286). Initially said to be closed from November 2 to 30, bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues will remain shut until early January 2021. The country exceeds 1 million cases and sets a new death-in-24-hour toll record this Saturday November 28, 2020. The country considers extending health restrictions to spring 2021.
- Russia, as of Saturday December 5, reports 28,782 new cases leading to a total of 2,431,731 cases and 42,684 deaths (+508). This Wednesday December 2, 2020 the country reports a new record-setting death toll in 24h since the pandemic broke out. Vladimir Putin announces he expects to launch a massive vaccine campaign from next week.
- The epidemic is active in Africa and keeps on spreading. In South Africa as of Saturday December 5, the country reports 805,804 (+4,932) and 21,963 deaths (+160). The country records this Thursday December 3 the highest infection toll in 24h since August 15. The country fears resurgence of the virus.
- Japan as of Saturday December 5, Covid keeps on spreading including 2,405 new cases in 24 hours, naming the highest new case toll in 24h since the epidemic broke out in the country. 153,232 cases have been reported in total, and 2,240 deaths (+27 in 24h). The country has passed a bill to make coronavirus vaccine free and urges Japanese to get vaccinated from the first quarter of 2020.
- In India, the new case curve seems to stabilize. This Saturday December 5, India records 9,603,779 cases (+43,067 in 24 hours), and 139,742 deaths including 612 in 24 hours. India exceeds 9 million coronavirus cases since the pandemic broke out. The capital's private hospitals now have to save 80% if ICU beds and 60% of standard beds to people infected with coronavirus. Any non-urgent surgery has to be postponed. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Saturday December 5, 2020, the country reports 588 new cases in 24h, totalling 37,017 cases and 345 deaths (+6 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 15 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Saturday December 5, China reports 86,601 cases and 4,634 deaths (+0). Panic at the Pudong airport, Shanghai, this Sunday November 22, 2020 as all employees have had to be quarantined and tested immediately after detecting several positive cases. Over 500 flights have been cancelled.
- Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 2,014 new cases today. As of Saturday December 5, the country reports 970,860 contamination cases, 36,195 deaths (+91).
- Belgium reports - as of December 5 - 2,582 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 587,439 cases, as hospitalizations are peaking like for the first wave. There have been 105 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 17,142 deaths. In Belgium, non necessary stores are allowed to reopen, but "contact" jobs such as hair dressers and beauty salons are to remain shut at least until February 1.
Data as of December 4, 2020:
- Poland currently reports 1,039,538 (+10,928) contamination cases and 19,341 Covid-19 deaths (+513). This Wednesday, Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus, including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. As of Sunday November 29, 2020 the country exceeds one million cases and breaks new case and death tolls in 24hour-record since the pandemic broke out.
- In Tunisia, Prime Minister Hichem Mechichi called all (regional) governors to announce curfew from 7 p.m. to 4 a.m. from Monday to Friday, and from 6 p.m. to 4 a.m. on weekends, without giving details as for the duration of the measure. Trip restrictions, closure of schools until November 8 and distance classes for two weeks in universities. The country records this Friday December 4, 2,620 new cases, 101,900 cases have been officialy reported so far, including 3,481 deaths (+118 in 24h).
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 117,583 cases (+427) and 6,732 deaths including 19 these past 24 hours. This December 2, 2020, the country records the highest number of positive cases in 24 hours since August 2, 2020. The country is testing a bedside robot - designed by engineer Mahmud el-Komy - to help health caregivers.
- Lebanon officially recorded 134,295 cases of coronavirus (+1,478 in 24h), and 1,078 deaths including 11 in 24h. Despite a still very high number of daily cases, the country started on Monday to exit lockdown after 2 weeks of closing restaurants, bars and public places.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with 5,874 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 543,924 cases. The country reports 9,596 deaths including 58 these past 24h. The country is making the partial lockdown harder and announces museums, movie theaters, zoos and other places receiving the public will have to close for two weeks.
- Sweden is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of Friday December 4, 278,912 cases (+7,067), and 7,067 (+60 since yesterday) deaths have been reported. Southern Sweden inhabitants are now urged to limit contacts and avoid public transit and closed places, the health authorities say, as the Scandinavian realm is experiencing an increasing number of Covid-19 cases.
- Austria reports 3,815 new cases leading to a total of 297,245 cases and 109 deaths in 24h for a total of 3,651 deaths as of Friday December 4. The country records a new death toll record in 24h this Tuesday November 24, 2020 and moves to strict lockdown with closure of schools and non-necessary stores starting November 17 and up to December 6, 2020. In order to shorten lockdown, Austria plans to lead a massive testing campaign.
- Iran reports 347 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 49,695 deaths and 1,016,835 cases reported (+13,341 in 24h). Facing the sharp increase in contaminations and deaths, the Iranian government has announced new restrictions, including the closure of cafés and gyms, as well as mandatory facemask-wearing in Tehran starting Saturday. Most Middle-Eastern country infected, Iran has been facing a resurgence of the epidemic since September and sets this November 27 a new-case record in 24h.
- In Switzerland, as the number of cases skyrockets and reaches 4,382 new cases in 24h for a total of 344,497 cases, the government once again calls for the army to evacuate sick for the second time since the pandemic broke out. The Swiss Federeal Council allowed on Wednesday the deployment of 2,500 soldiers. The country reports 5,221 deaths including 62 over the past 24h.
- Denmark reports 1,603 new cases in 24h - naming the highest toll in 24h since the pandemic broke out - leading to a total of 86,743 cases. The country has totalled 867 deaths including 9 over the past 24h.
- The epidemic keeps on spreading in Portugal including 4,935 new cases in 24h totalling 312,553 confirmed cases. The country reports 4,803 deaths to coronavirus including 79 over the past 24h. This past Friday, Portuguese restaurateurs have started a hunger strike in front of the Republic Assembly to protest against the closure of restaurants.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App