Audrey B. · Published on 15 September 2017 at 10h01
· Updated on 15 September 2017 at 10h14
The Centre Culturel Irlandais in Paris celebrates its 15th birthday by organizing a string of cultural events on September 15, 16 and 17, 2017. Tom Moore’s Soong of the Sea screening, Paddy Casey’s pop rock concert and even an initiation to Irish language and culture are some of the several highlights that will pace this long festive weekend.
Set in a wonderful 18th century building in Paris, the Centre Culturel Irlandais celebrates its 15th birthday in 2017! A birthday celebrated with great pomp from September 15 to 17 with a program full of festivities. Some of the highlights are: exhibition, open-air screening, guided tour and pop-rock concert to make your heart beat at the same time as Ireland’s drums.
Iconic place of French-Irish relationships, the center hosts the works from artists coming from across the Channel so that you can discover them and meet the Irish students living there all year long and get to know their culture.
Its Saint-Patrick’s and World Music Day celebrations make it a popular place in Paris and its media library offers all the information to know everything about Ireland’s habits and customs.
Program for the 15th birthday celebrations:
- Friday September 15
- 6:30 p.m.: private view of two exhibitions
Opening of two exhibitions: Many Worlds that tells about how diverse the modern painting is in Ireland and The Living Book: Making a Book One’s Own in the Renaissance, an exhibition which presents a selection of volumes taken from CCI’s Old Library.
- 9 p.m.: open-air screening
Make yourself comfortable in a deckchair under the stars and enjoy the wonderful Franco-Irish animated film Song of the Sea by Tom Moore.
- Saturday September 16 and Sunday September 17 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Open house
- Guided tours of the Old Library every half hour
- Book restoration demonstration
- Visit exhibitions, Saint Patrick’s chapel and the Médiathèque
- Irish culture and language taster (Saturday at 2 p.m.)
- Curator’s talk about the exhibition The Living Book (Saturday 3 p.m.)
- Irish fairytales and legends for children (Sunday at 3 p.m. and 4 p.m., in French)
- Saturday September 16 at 7 p.m.: double pop-rock open-air concert
Paddy Casey takes over the Irish stage for twenty years and has shared it with U2, Bob Dylan, REM and Pearl Jam. His retro-pop hits with soul, jazz and blues twists will resonate along with Aine Cahill’s who is a young songwriter-composer-singer and played at Glastonbury in 2016.
To satisfy your taste buds, a Breton foodtruck Karr Lichou will be here to treat you galettes and crêpes!
Centre Culturel Irlandais’s 15th birthday
Location: 5, rue des Irlandais – 75005 Paris
September 15, 16 and 17, 2017
Free admission within the limited of the number of places available