The Pont d’Iéna joining the Eiffel Tower to the Trocadéro has been built at the instigation of Napoleon Bonaparte between 1808 and 1814. The Emperor – who’s just won two years earlier the Battle of Jena over Prussia – wishes to mark the event in stone and Parisian memories. Engineer Corneille Lamandé comes up with this five-arch bridge covering 140 meters (459.31 feet) and decorated with imperial eagles.
But only one year after the inauguration, the Pont d’Iéna, at the fall of the First Empire, Paris is invaded by Prussian troops and an ancient acquaintance of Napoleon Bonaparte has ambitions… the General Blücher, major loser of the Battle of Jena wishes to destroy the bridge retaliation! Louis XVIII opposes it and settles for recalling the Pont d’Iéna, Pont de l’Ecole Militaire and removes the imperial eagles from the tympanums.
Under Louis Philippe, the bridge finds its original name back and during the Second Empire, it’s decorated with new imperial eagles sculpted by Jean-François Mouret and four statues still visible today: a Gallic warrior, a Roman warrior, a Greek warrior and an Arab warrior.
As it’s set in the geographical center of the World Fairs, the Pont d’Iéna has, over the years, extended until 1937 when it reached its current width of 35 meters (114.82 feet).
Listed a historical monument in 1975, the Pont d’Iéna has lost nothing of its splendor of yesteryear.
75116 Paris 16