Julie M. · Published on 25 January 2021 at 09h26
· Updated on 25 January 2021 at 18h59
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. Over 100 million coronavirus cases have been reported and over 2.15 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Monday January 25, 2021. Austria makes FFP2 masks mandatory in transport and stores. The situation is very preoccupying in Portugal that records daily records in cases and deaths and closes schools. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad in February. London is considering granting €560 to each positive case. In Brazil, Spain and Denmark, thousands of protestors walked to protest against the managing of the crisis. Israel stops flights from and to the country for 7 days.
As of Monday January 25, 2021, Covid-19 infected 100,009,091 people (+473,113). So far, 2,154,717 (+10,029) people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares the official data from the different Health ministers. According to WHO, there will be no herd immunity in 2021 even though vaccines are available.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with 4,017 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 952,950 cases. The country reports 13,579 deaths including 39 these past 24h. The country instates curfew from 9 p.m. starting this Saturday January 23, 2021. 135,000 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine. Curfew causes riots in the Netherlands. This Sunday January 24, 2021 at least 130 people have been arrested.
- Denmark reports 625 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 195,296 cases. The country has totalled 2,010 deaths including 27 over the past 24h. Denmark is to make new restrictions including "partial targeted lockdown exit" in the 3 main cities of the country. The country will close stores past Christmas. Denmark chooses to allow intervals between the two doses of the vaccine in order to vaccinate as many people as possible. 203,166 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Homeless people are given the vaccine first. A radical group has held a protest against restrictions this Saturday January 23, 2021 evening in Copenhagen.
- The United Kingdom reports 22,195 new cases in 24h with a total of 3,669,658 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Monday January 25, 2021, 592 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 97,939 deaths have been reported. Mutation of the virus in Southern England has the British authorities worried. As many British people are reluctant to get tested as they fear they will not be able to work, London is considering granting £500 to each positive case. 6,822,981 people have been vaccinated so far.
- Austria reports 1,009 new cases leading to a total of 405,723 cases and 33 deaths in 24h for a total of 7,451 deaths as of Monday January 25, 2021. 170,144 people have been given the first shot of vaccine. Austria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in stores and public transit.
- Israel records 601,069 cases since the epidemic broke out, including 3,666 over the past 24h and 4,437 deaths (+78). The country that already vaccinated over 2 million people anming 25% of the population hopes to become the "first country to exit the crisis". So far, 3,615,145 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine. Israel stops flights from and to the country to limit the spread of variants.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 130,702 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Monday January 25, 2021, the country reports 25,702,073 cases. The country reports 1,711 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 429,490 deaths. After approving the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the US approves Moderna's. The US requires negative test from all travelers entering the country by plane. 21,848,655 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Brazil reports an-always high new infection toll with 28,454 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Monday January 25, 2021, 605 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 8,949,694 cases in total, and 217,164 deaths according to data given by the government. On January 8 and 9, 2021 Brazil exceeds 200,000 deaths since the pandemic broke out. Brazil cancels the traditional Carnival originally planned from February 13 to 16, 2021. Thousands of Brazilian people protested against the managing of the crisis by Bolsonaro. 604,722 people have been given the first shot of Covid-19 vaccine.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 3,053,617 cases have been reported including 18,436 the past 24h. As of Sunday January 24, 172 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 21,976 deaths. 51,073 people have died in hospitals (+172 in 24h) leading to a global total of 73,049 deaths. In France, 1,008,720 people have been vaccinated.
- Spain reports a total of 2,499,560 cases and 42,885 new cases in 24h. As of Friday January 22, the country reports 400 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 55,441 deaths. The country reports over 50,000 deaths. Spain will keep a book of people refusing to get vaccinated that will be shared with other European countries. Thousands of people protested on Saturday in Madrid against new restrictions instated to fight against the spread of coronavirus.
- Portugal goes back into lockdown from Friday January 15, 2021 for the second time and for at least a month. All non-food stores must close. This Sunday January 24, 2021, the country reports a new death peak including 275 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 10,469 deaths since the pandemic broke out; and 11,721 new cases in 24h, totaling 636,190 confirmed cases. So far, 249,891 people have been vaccinated. Hospitals are about to be overcrowded. The country closes schools and plans to postpone the school calendar in order not to penalize students for whom no distance classes is planned. In the middle of a peak, Portuguese go to vote to re-elect outgoing president Marcelo Rebelo De Sousa in the first ballot.
Data as of January 25, 2021:
- In Switzerland, as the number of cases skyrockets and reaches 4,320 new cases since Friday for a total of 513,599 cases.The country reports 9,093 deaths including 28 in 24h. Switzerland is closing stores, restaurants and other places of life from 6 p.m. and on Sunday from December 12 to January 22, 2020. Despite the very aggressive second wave, authorities refuse to implement lockdown. 169,783 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Switzerland is planning to instate compulsory quarantine to travelers coming from South of France, starting February.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Monday January 25, 2021, the country reports 119 new cases in 24h, totalling 49,704 cases and 564 deaths (+2 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out. 6,897 people have been injected the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Greece records 432 new cases in 24h leading to 152,412 cases since the pandemic broke out. The country totals 5,671 deaths including 25 over the past 24h hours. 157,388 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- In Japan, Covid keeps on spreading with 4,152 new cases in 24h, naming the highest toll in 24h in the country since the pandemic broke out. 364,813 cases have been reported, and 5,084 (+65 in 24h) deaths reported as of January 25. Japan is faced with the 3rd wave, closes borders to non-citizens from December 28 to late January 2021. This Thursday January 7, 2021 the Japanese Prime Minister declares state of emergency in Tokyo and its suburbs.
- Morocco reports this Monday January 25, 337 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 466,626 cases. The country also reports 8,172 deaths, +22 in 24h. Morocco's massive vacination campaign is being detailed. Morocco receives 2 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine.
- Italy reports this Monday January 25, 2021, 8,559 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 420 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 85,881 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 2,475,372 cases have been confirmed so far. Italy extends restrictions initially planned up to January 6, 2021. 1,370,449 people have been given the first injection of vaccine.
- Russia, as of Monday January 25, 2021, reports 19,290 new cases leading to a total of 3,738,690 cases and 69,918 deaths (+456). Russia has launched the mass-vaccination campaign, and 1 million people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Canada reports 9,976 new cases in 747,360 naming a new record since the pandemic broke out, and 19,904 deaths including 266 in 24h. Faced with a surge in cases, Quebec enters total lockdown for four weeks including curfew starting January 9, 2021. 801,238 people have been inoculated the first dose of vaccine.
- Belgium reports - as of Monday January 25, 2021 - 1,812 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 693,666 cases, as hospitalizations are peaking like for the first wave. There have been 53 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 20,779 deaths. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad, including within Europe in February. 174,307 people have been injected the first dose of vaccine.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 115 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Monday January 25, 2021, China reports 89,115 cases and 4,635 deaths (+0). The country reports this Thursday January 14, 2021 its first death since May 17, 2020. 15,000,000 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine in the country. China halts Air France flights between Paris and Tianjin following Covid-19 cases.
- In Germany, the new case toll skyrockets: 10,205 new infections in 24 hours. As of Monday January 25, the country reports 2,150,078 cases, along with 52,872 (+253). Initially said to be closed from November 2 to 30, bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues will remain shut until February 14, 2021, and might last until April 2021. The country makes measures harder by closing schools and non-necessary stores, making surgical face masks mandatory in transport and reinforcing remote working. So far, 1,632,777 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine.
- In India, the new case curve keeps on regularly decreasing. This Monday January 25, India records 10,668,617 cases (+13,232 in 24 hours), and 153,508 deaths including 131 in 24 hours. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and emergency allows the new AstraZeneca vaccine. India launches a mass vaccine campaign and vaccinates 1,582,201 people in 24 hours.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 1,384 deaths reported in 24h, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 1,934,548 infections (+11,780 in 24h) and 160,548 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. 618,768 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- Zimbabwe is back into lockdown for the next 30 days starting Sunday January 3, 2021. The country records 31,320 coronavirus cases including 313 over the past 24h and totals 1,005 deaths since the pandemic broke out, including 31 since yesterday.
- The epidemic is active in Africa and keeps on spreading. In South Africa as of Monday January 25, the country reports 1,412,986 (+8,147) and 40,874 deaths (+300). In South Africa a new more "worrying" and "transmissible" variant of the virus has been reported. South Africa expects first vaccines to be delivered by February and wishes to vaccinate 67% of the population in 2021. South Africa is closing its lad borders for a month to limit the spread of the variant.
- South Korea, as of Monday January 25, reports 437 new infections. 75,521 cases in total, and 1,360 deaths (+11 in 24h) have been reported. Faced with the 3rd wave - even more destructive than the previous two - the country reinforces social-distancing restrictions. In the capital, Seoul, the ban of gatherings of over 4 people is extended. The domestic vaccine campaign is set to begin from February.
- Slightly impacted by coronavirus, Thailand officially reports 13,687 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 187 over the past 24h. Faced with increasing case toll since December 20, 2020, Bangkok has announced the first partial lockdown. Bars, nightclubs and restaurants close from January 2 and the sale of alcohol will be banned in Bangkok. The country totals 75 (+2) deaths.
- Poland currently reports 1,475,445 (+4,566) contamination cases and 35,363 Covid-19 deaths (+106). Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus. From December 28, 2020 the country is back into partial lockdown including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. 701,164 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
Data as of January 24, 2021:
- Lebanon instates total lockdown starting Thursday January 14, 2021. Any outing is banned, Lebanese are not even allowed to go grocery shopping. The country totals 279,597 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 3,010 in 24h and 2,320 (+50) deaths because of coronavirus.
Data as of January 22, 2021:
- Sweden, as of Friday January 22, 2021, 547,166 (+4,214), and 11,005 (+84 in 24h) deaths have been reported since Friday. Bars and restaurants must close at 10:30 p.m. from November 10 to February 28, at least. This Friday January 8, Sweden passed a law leading to new temporary powers for the government to fight against the coronavirus epidemic, including the possibility to close restaurants and stores for the first time. 146,775 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App