Julie M. · Published on 27 January 2021 at 09h38
· Updated on 27 January 2021 at 13h09
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. Over 100 million coronavirus cases have been reported and over 2.18 million people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Wednesday January 27, 2021. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad in February. Israel halts all flights from and to the country for 7 days. The United-Kingdom exceeds 100,000 deaths since the pandemic broke out. Faced with variants, Germany considers closing its airspace. The Netherlands is calming down after 3 days of riots. In Lebanon, the people protest against the extension of lockdown.
As of Wednesday January 17, 2021, Covid-19 infected 100,951,121 people (+594,226). So far, 2,180,483 (+13,434) people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares the official data from the different Health ministers. According to WHO, there will be no herd immunity in 2021 even though vaccines are available.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 3,079,943 cases have been reported including 22,086 the past 24h. As of Tuesday January 26, 612 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 22,238 (+262 since Friday) deaths. 51,868 people have died in hospitals (+350 in 24h) leading to a global total of 74,106 deaths. In France, 1,008,720 people have been vaccinated.
- The United Kingdom reports 20,089 new cases in 24h with a total of 3,689,746 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Tuesday January 26, 2021, 1,631 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 100,162 deaths have been reported. Mutation of the virus in Southern England has the British authorities worried. As many British people are reluctant to get tested as they fear they will not be able to work, London is considering granting £500 to each positive case. 6,853,327 people have been vaccinated so far. The UK is the first EU country to exceed 100,000 deaths.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with 3,917 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 956,867 cases. The country reports 13,665 deaths including 86 these past 24h. The country instates curfew from 9 p.m. starting this Saturday January 23, 2021. 135,000 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine. Evening rather quiet in the Netherlands after 3 days of riots against curfew.
- Lebanon instates total lockdown starting Thursday January 14, 2021. Any outing is banned, Lebanese are not even allowed to go grocery shopping. The country totals 285,754 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 2,477 in 24h and 2,477 (+99) deaths because of coronavirus. People are proresting against the extension of lockdown.
Data as of January 27, 2021:
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 71 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Wednesday January 27, 2021, China reports 89,272 cases and 4,635 deaths (+0). The country reports this Thursday January 14, 2021 its first death since May 17, 2020. 15,000,000 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine in the country. China halts Air France flights between Paris and Tianjin following Covid-19 cases.
- In the United-States, the new case toll still skyrockets with 154,926 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Wednesday January 27, 2021, the country reports 26,011,170 cases. The country reports 3,778 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 435,452 deaths. After approving the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, the US approves Moderna's. The US requires negative test from all travelers entering the country by plane. 19,902,237 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Joe Biden expects the country to reach herd immunity by the summer 2021.
- Israel records 617,168 cases since the epidemic broke out, including 3,590 over the past 24h and 4,513 deaths (+14). The country that already vaccinated over 2 million people anming 25% of the population hopes to become the "first country to exit the crisis". So far, 3,637,279 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine. Israel stops flights from and to the country to limit the spread of variants.
- Brazil reports an-always high new infection toll with 61,934 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Wednesday January 26, 2021, 1,178 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 8,940,554 cases in total, and 217,164 deaths according to data given by the government. On January 8 and 9, 2021 Brazil exceeds 200,000 deaths since the pandemic broke out. Brazil cancels the traditional Carnival originally planned from February 13 to 16, 2021. Thousands of Brazilian people protested against the managing of the crisis by Bolsonaro. 848,883 people have been given the first shot of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Canada reports 4,011 new cases in 757,009 naming a new record since the pandemic broke out, and 19,403 deaths including 165 in 24h. Faced with a surge in cases, Quebec enters total lockdown for four weeks including curfew starting January 9, 2021. 839,949 people have been inoculated the first dose of vaccine.
- Belgium reports - as of Wednesday January 27, 2021 - 1,784 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 696,642 cases, as hospitalizations are peaking like for the first wave. There have been 65 deaths in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 20,879 deaths. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad, including within Europe in February. 212,618 people have been injected the first dose of vaccine.
- In Germany, the new case toll skyrockets: 4,161 new infections in 24 hours. As of Wednesday January 27, the country reports 2,169,396 cases, along with 54,709 (+986). Initially said to be closed from November 2 to 30, bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues will remain shut until February 14, 2021, and might last until April 2021. The country makes measures harder by closing schools and non-necessary stores, making surgical face masks mandatory in transport and reinforcing remote working. So far, 1,638,425 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine.
- In India, the new case curve keeps on regularly decreasing. This Wednesday January 27, India records 10,690,212 cases (+12,569 in 24 hours), and 153,751 deaths including 127 in 24 hours. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and emergency allows the new AstraZeneca vaccine. India launches a mass vaccine campaign and vaccinates 2,023,809 people in 24 hours.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 1,531 deaths reported in 24h, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 1,963,268 infections (+18,450 in 24h) and 163,268 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. 619,390 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- Zimbabwe is back into lockdown for the next 30 days starting Sunday January 3, 2021. The country records 32,004 coronavirus cases including 358 over the past 24h and totals 1,103 deaths since the pandemic broke out, including 28 since yesterday.
- The epidemic is active in Africa and keeps on spreading. In South Africa as of Wednesday January 27, the country reports 1,423,578 (+6,041) and 41,797 deaths (+680). In South Africa a new more "worrying" and "transmissible" variant of the virus has been reported. South Africa expects first vaccines to be delivered by February and wishes to vaccinate 67% of the population in 2021. South Africa is closing its lad borders for a month to limit the spread of the variant.
- South Korea, as of Wednesday January 27, reports 554 new infections. 76,429 cases in total, and 1,378 deaths (+7 in 24h) have been reported. Faced with the 3rd wave - even more destructive than the previous two - the country reinforces social-distancing restrictions. In the capital, Seoul, the ban of gatherings of over 4 people is extended. The domestic vaccine campaign is set to begin from February.
- Slightly impacted by coronavirus, Thailand officially reports 15,465 cases since the pandemic broke out, including 819 over the past 24h. Faced with increasing case toll since December 20, 2020, Bangkok has announced the first partial lockdown. Bars, nightclubs and restaurants close from January 2 and the sale of alcohol will be banned in Bangkok. The country totals 76 (+1) deaths.
- Poland currently reports 1,482,722 (+4,603) contamination cases and 35,665 Covid-19 deaths (+264). Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus. From December 28, 2020 the country is back into partial lockdown including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. 701,222 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
Data as of January 26, 2021:
- Morocco reports this Tuesday January 26, 867 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 467,493 cases. The country also reports 8,187 deaths, +15 in 24h. Morocco's massive vacination campaign is being detailed. Morocco receives 2 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Tuesday January 26, 2021, the country reports 115 new cases in 24h, totalling 49,852 cases and 570 deaths (+4 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out. 7,711 people have been injected the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
- Spain reports a total of 2,629,817 cases and 36,435 new cases in 24h. As of Tuesday January 26, the country reports 591 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 56,799 deaths. The country reports over 50,000 deaths. Spain will keep a book of people refusing to get vaccinated that will be shared with other European countries. Thousands of people protested on Saturday in Madrid against new restrictions instated to fight against the spread of coronavirus. 1,148,895 people have been given the first dose of the vaccine.
- Italy reports this Tuesday January 26, 2021, 10,593 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and 541 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 86,422 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 2,485,956 cases have been confirmed so far. Italy extends restrictions initially planned up to January 6, 2021. 1,283,945 people have been given the first injection of vaccine.
- Sweden, as of Tuesday January 26, 2021, 556,289 (+9,123 this weekend), and 11,247 (+242 since Friday) deaths have been reported. Bars and restaurants must close at 10:30 p.m. from November 10 to February 28, at least. This Friday January 8, Sweden passed a law leading to new temporary powers for the government to fight against the coronavirus epidemic, including the possibility to close restaurants and stores for the first time. 146,775 people have been given the first dose of coronavirus vaccine.
- Portugal goes back into lockdown from Friday January 15, 2021 for the second time and for at least a month. All non-food stores must close. This Tuesday January 26, 2021, the country reports 291 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 10,765 deaths since the pandemic broke out; and 10,765 new cases in 24h, totaling 653,878 confirmed cases. So far, 225,146 people have been vaccinated. Hospitals are about to be overcrowded. The country closes schools and plans to postpone the school calendar in order not to penalize students for whom no distance classes is planned. In the middle of a peak, Portuguese go to vote to re-elect outgoing president Marcelo Rebelo De Sousa in the first ballot.
- Denmark reports 625 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 195,296 cases. The country has totalled 2,030 deaths including 20 over the past 24h. Denmark is to make new restrictions including "partial targeted lockdown exit" in the 3 main cities of the country. The country will close stores past Christmas. Denmark chooses to allow intervals between the two doses of the vaccine in order to vaccinate as many people as possible. 182,770 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Homeless people are given the vaccine first. A radical group has held a protest against restrictions this Saturday January 23, 2021 evening in Copenhagen.
- Austria reports 1,417 new cases leading to a total of 407,140 cases and 33 deaths in 24h for a total of 7,515 deaths as of Tuesday January 26, 2021. 170,144 people have been given the first shot of vaccine. Austria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in stores and public transit.
- In Switzerland, as the number of cases skyrockets and reaches 1,884 new cases in 24h for a total of 515,483 cases.The country reports 9,187 deaths including 94 in 24h. Switzerland is closing stores, restaurants and other places of life from 6 p.m. and on Sunday from December 12 to January 22, 2020. Despite the very aggressive second wave, authorities refuse to implement lockdown. 169,783 people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine. Switzerland is planning to instate compulsory quarantine to travelers coming from South of France, starting February.
- Greece records 814 new cases in 24h leading to 153,226 cases since the pandemic broke out. The country totals 5,692 deaths including 21 over the past 24h hours. 169,456 people have been given the first dose of vaccine.
- In Japan, Covid keeps on spreading with 3,330 new cases in 24h, naming the highest toll in 24h in the country since the pandemic broke out. 368,143 cases have been reported, and 5,158 (+74 in 24h) deaths reported as of January 26. Japan is faced with the 3rd wave, closes borders to non-citizens from December 28 to late January 2021. This Thursday January 7, 2021 the Japanese Prime Minister declares state of emergency in Tokyo and its suburbs.
- Russia, as of Tuesday January 26, 2021, reports 18,241 new cases leading to a total of 3,756,931 cases and 70,482 deaths (+564). Russia has launched the mass-vaccination campaign, and 1 million people have been given the first dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App