Coronavirus in the world: 1,320 deaths in the U.S., and 1,237 in Brazil in 24 hours
My B., Julie M. · Published on 15 August 2020 at 19h08
· Updated on 15 August 2020 at 19h08
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis for months. Discover updates on countries impacted by the coronavirus epidemic this Friday August 7 2020. Over 19 million cases have been reported and over 720,000 people have died of Covid-19 worldwide according to The Coronavirus App. The new case toll has never been this high, and some countries are facing new waves as they thought their curbed the epidemic.
In the world, as of Friday August 7, 2020, Covid-19 infected 19,305,573 people. So far, 720,825 people have died worldwide. We now use data from The Coronavirus App, recommended by the French Health Minister and that shares - for most countries - the official data from the different Health ministers. Excluding the USA for which we keep data as shared by the CDC. WHO alerts on the deterioration of the epidemic in the world. The new infection toll skyrockets in America. WHO urges to take control over the epidemic. Some countries are facing new and worrying waves even though they thought they curbed the epidemic.
- In the United-States, the new case toll reaches new records with 53,685 infections reported in 24 hours. As of Friday August 7, the country reports 4,802,491 cases. According to the CDC, the country reports 1,320 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 157,631 deaths.
- Brazil reports an always-deteriorating toll, and an-always high new infection toll with 53,139 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Friday August 7, 1,237 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 2,912,212 cases in total, and 98,493 deaths according to data given by the government. Yet, data could be widely underestimated. The country is getting dangerously close to 100,000 deaths, a real massacre.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 195,633 cases have been reported (+1,604 in 24h) and 30,312 people have died. As of Thursday August 6, 7 deaths in 24 hours have been reported in hospitals. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 10,506 deaths, it will be updated next Tuesday. 19,806 people have died in hospitals.
- Italy reports this Thursday August 6, 401 new infections have been reported in 24 hours especially in the north of the country, and 6 deaths in 24 hours (5 the day before). It now reaches 35,187 since the beginning of the epidemic. As of today, 249,204 cases have been confirmed so far. Italy reopened its borders on June 3rd and cancelled mandatory quarantine to EU foreigners, but closes its doors to people coming from 13 countries said to be "at risk".
- In the United Kingdom the toll remains very high. As of Thursday August 6, the country reports 950 new cases in 24h with a total of 308,134 cases, and 46 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 46,413 deaths. Great Britain signs a 60-million Covid-19 vaccine-dose supply agreement. Lockdown stopped in England is facing an increase of positive cases.
- Spain reports as of Thursday August 6, 4,088 new cases in 24 hours, that is to say 309,855 cases in total. The country reports 1 death in 24 hours, leading to a total of 28,500 deaths. Spain has been putting cities on lockdown again. France is considereing re-closing borders. Spain claims to be a "safe" country for tourists despite the resurgence of the epidemic. The Spanish government hopes the coronavirus followup app, Radar Covid, will be delivered in September for the entire country.
- Venezuela reports 981 new cases in 24 hours, leading to 23,280 cases. The country - reporting 7 deaths in 24 hours and a total death toll of 202 - orders strict quarantine all over the country.
- In Japan as of Friday August 7 reports 1,134 new cases in 24 hours. 42,263 cases have been reported in total, and 1,026 deaths (+4 in 24h). The country is slowly reopening borders: returns are possible from Wednesday August 5, but only for those who left Japan before April, and on some conditions.
- Belgium reports a growing number of daily cases. As of Friday August 7, 858 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 72,016. The infection toll has been dramatically increasing over the past days. There has been 7 new death in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 9,861 deaths. 255 employees of a slaughterhouse are self-isolating in the north-west of the country following the discovery of several covid cases.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports 37 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Friday August 7, China reports 84,565 cases and 4,634 deaths. China launches a wide testing campaign in Xinjiang. China allows Air France airline two flights to the country per week.
- In Germany, the new case toll is increasing with 792 new infections in 24 hours. As of Tuesday August 4, the country reports 212,249 cases, along with 9,319 deaths (+0). This week, the country allowed reinforced containment measures on a local basis in case clusters break out because of tourism restarting. Germany will provide free Covid-19 tests to travelers back in the country and set up testing centers within airports for people coming from areas at risk, the local health ministers decided on Friday.
- Portugal reports a growing number of new cases. As of Friday August 7, 213 new infections have been reported, leading to a total of 52,061 cases and 1,743 deaths (+3) have been reported. As the health authorities are worried about a second wave in many countries, Portugal starts curbing the pandemic. After Greece and Thailand, Portugal is the third most-hit country by the tourism crisis, the IMF says.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 556 deaths reported in 24 hours, but it is said to be underestimated. The country currently counts over 512,056 infections (+5,669 in 24h) and 53,501 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain and France in terms of fatality. This is the third worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States.
- Iran reports 174 deaths in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 17,976 deaths and 320,117 cases reported (+2,634 in 24h). According to the BBC, there are actually three times more deaths than the official reports say, and about 42,000 people are said to be dead because of the virus.
- Russia, as of Friday August 7 reports 5,267 new cases leading to a total of 871,894 cases and 14,606 deaths (+112). Russia expects to manufacture a vaccine from September.
- South Korea, as of Friday August 7, reports 20 new infections. 14,519 cases in total, and 303 deaths (+1 in 24h) have been reported. Clusters are still breaking out.
- Peru is still experiencing a very worrying situation, with 7,785 new cases today. As of Friday July 7, the country reports 455,409 contamination cases, 20,424 deaths (+196). The country has exceeded the 20,000-death mark.
- In India, the death toll keeps on growing. The country reports on Friday August 7, 2,030,001 cases (+62,170 in 24 hours), and 41,673 deaths including 899 in 24 hours. The country exceeds 2 million cases.
- In Chile, the epidemic is increasing, and many new contaminations have been reported in 24 hours. The country reports 2,011 new cases in 24 hours, and reports 366,671 cases and 9,889 deaths (+98).
- In Egypt, the number of infections increases. The country reports 95,006 cases (+131) and 4,951 deaths including 21 these past 24 hours. Egypt has reopened its borders on July 1, but tourism struggles to start again. More and more bookings are cancelled, and tourism professionals struggle to make ends meet.
- Sweden reports a growing toll of cases, including 427 new infections in 24 hours. It is one of the rare countries to have not gone into confinement but only set up guidelines. As of today, Friday August 7, 81,967 cases and 5,766 deaths (+6 in 24h) have been reported. Authorities are quite happy with their response to Covid-19 and think the coronavirus infection rate is decreasing.
- Morocco is experiencing an increasing number of infections since the health emergency has been made softer. This Friday August 7, the country reports 1,144 cases in 24 hours, a total of 29,644 cases. The country has also reported 449 deaths (+14 in 24 h). Moroccan authorities are worried, Rabat's main economic partner - the European Union - may order the closure of borders to its immigrants.
- Poland currently reports 49,515 (+726) contamination cases and 1,774 Covid-19 deaths (+18). The country is experiencing an increase in the number of contaminations over the past days.
- Romania is currently on alert. The country reports 57,895 cases (+1,345) and 2,566 deaths (+45) because of Covid-19. This Wednesday July 29, Romania has passed new measures to curb the increase in coronavirus cases, including mandatory facemasks in some outdoor places and reduced activity for bars and restaurants. So far, the number of new daily cases keeps on skyrocketting.
- Algeria faces a resurgence of new contamination cases worrying health professionals. As of Friday August 7, 33,626 cases (+571) and 1,273 deaths (+12) because of the epidemic have been reported. The decision to reopen borders is postponed to the end of the epidemic.
- The epidemic is spreading in Africa. South Africa is the cradle of the pandemic on the African continent where the toll of new cases skyrockets. This Friday August 7, the country reports 538,184 cases (+8,307) and 9,604 deaths (+306). 24,000 health professionals have been infected since the pandemic broke out, and 181 of them have died.
Follow the evolution of the pandemic in real time:
The Coronavirus App