Julie M. · Published on 19 April 2021 at 11h22
· Updated on 20 April 2021 at 01h42
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. 141,778,822 coronavirus cases have been reported and over 3,036,948 people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Tuesday 20 April 2021. Faced with the epidemic surge in India, New Delhi is back into lockdown. In Israel, where over half of the population is vaccinated, wearing a facemask outdoors is no longer compulsory. In the USA, vaccination opens to everyone. Italy is to ease restrictions starting April 26, 2021. The world passes 3 million deaths to coronavirus. Iran halts flights from and to France.
As of Monday 19 April 2021, Covid-19 infected 141,778,822 people (+124,462). So far, 3,036,948 (+3,571) people have died worldwide. We now use data provided by Google.
Coronavirus: the world totals 3 million deaths as of April 17, WHO is worried
Coronavirus has killed three million people less than a year and a half after it broke out in China. This threshold concerns WHO director general Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. In a press brief held this Friday April 16, he said "This is approaching the highest rate of infection that we have seen so far during the pandemic".
Covid: travelers from Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and South Africa to self-isolate
While Covid-19 variants are increasing worldwide, this Saturday April 17, 2021 France announced that a 10-day self-isolation period is now mandatory for all travelers coming from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and South Africa. French Guiana is added to the list starting April 24, 2021.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 5,296,222 cases have been reported including +6,696 the past 24h. As of Monday 19 April 2021, +447 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 26,170 (0) deaths. 75,010 people have died in hospitals (+447 in 24h) leading to a global total of 101,180 deaths. In France, 12,561,498 people have been given the first dose of vaccine in France.
- In India, the new case curve dramatically increases. This Sunday 18 April 2021, India records 15,321,089 cases (+259,170 in 24 hours), and 180,530 deaths including +1,761 in 24 hours. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and emergency allows the new AstraZeneca vaccine. India has vaccinated 127,129,113 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.Faced with the epidemic surge in India, New Delhi is back into lockdown.
- Israel records 837,160 cases since the epidemic broke out, including +234 over the past 24h and 6,338 deaths (+4). So far, 10,341,133 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. In Israel - where half of the population is vaccinated - facemask wearing outdoors is no longer compulsory.
- Italy reports this Monday 19 April 2021, +8,863 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and +316 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 117,243 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 3,878,994 cases have been confirmed so far. 15,558,775 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Italy is to ease restrictions starting April 26, 2021.
- Denmark reports +902 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 242,633 cases. The country has totalled 2,455 deaths including +3 over the past 24h. Denmark chooses to allow intervals between the two doses of the vaccine in order to vaccinate as many people as possible. 1,577,772 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Denmark launches their "Corona Pass" to access some stores. The country definitively stops using AstraZeneca vaccine.
- Brazil reports an-always high new infection toll with +30,624 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Monday 19 April 2021, +1,347 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 13,973,695 cases in total, and 374,682 deaths according to data given by the government. 36,910,479 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Over half of patients in ICU in Brazil are under 40 years of age.
- The United Kingdom reports 0 new cases in 24h with a total of 4,389,279 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Sunday 18 April 2021, +1 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 127,274 deaths have been reported. 43,084,487 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. 20 million people have been vaccinated already. The UK reopens terraces and pubs.
- In the United-States, the new daily case toll keeps on decreasing in the 50 States. Today, +38,084 infections have been reported in 24 hours. As of Sunday 18 April 2021, the country reports 31,350,025 cases. The country reports +305 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 561,921 deaths. 211,581,309 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. People vaccinated can gather together again mask-free. The USA has inoculated 100 million doses of vaccine and will lend some to their neighbors. Joe Biden promises "90% of the adults could be vaccinated by April 19". Johnson & Johnson vaccine: the FDA recommends its suspension in the USA.
- In Argentina, 2,714,457 coronavirus cases including +6,522 over the past 24h have been reported along with 59,476 deaths (+15). To date, 6,334,554 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Argentina instates curfew for the first time and bans trips in major urban centers between midnight and 6 a.m., starting Friday and until April 30.
- Portugal is back into lockdown since Friday January 15, 2021 for the second time and for at least a month. All non-food stores must close. As of Saturday 17 April 2021, the country reports +3 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 16,945 deaths since the pandemic broke out; and +441 new cases in 24h, totaling 831,001 confirmed cases. So far, 2,681,985 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Portugal launches its progressive lockdown exit plan and reopens museums, cafés terraces and junior high schools.
- Austria reports +2,059 new cases leading to a total of 592,052 cases and +10 deaths in 24h for a total of 9,682 deaths as of Sunday 18 April 2021. 2,512,488 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Austria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in stores and public transit. 3 Austrian regions including Vienna are entering their 4th lockdown.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with +7,117 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 1,410,950 cases. The country reports 16,938 deaths including +22 these past 24h. 3,783,912 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. The country wishes to host Eurovision with a test audience including 3,500 people.
- Morocco reports this Sunday 18 April 2021, +138 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 505,949 cases. The country also reports 8,952 deaths, +7 in 24h. Morocco's massive vacination campaign is starting at full speed with 8,860,662 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. The country once again extends health emergency to April 10, 2021. Morocco halts flights from and to France and Spain.
- Canada reports +8,317 new cases in 24h, leading to a total of 1,131,773, naming a new record since the pandemic broke out, and 23,667 deaths including +45 in 24h. 10,243,418 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Canada also recommends AstraZeneca vaccine in people over 55 years of age.
- Spain reports a total of 3,428,415 (+64) cases. As of Monday 19 April 2021, the country reports 77,102 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 0 deaths. 12,853,599 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Spain plans to remove restrictions for travelers from the United Kingdom starting March 30, 2021. Spain makes restrictions for the Holy Week. From Friday March 26 to April 9, it is banned to meet over six people outside, and four inside. Moreover, inter-regional trips are also banned.
- In Germany, have been reported 0 new infections in 24 hours. As of Saturday 17 April 2021, the country reports 3,142,262 cases, along with 79,914 (0) deaths. Initially said to be on from November 2 to 30, the closure bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues continues and is once again extended to March 28, 2021. So far, 22,378,776 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Berlin experiments reopening of theaters on the condition audience members test negative to Covid. Germany is to list France as high-risk area.
- Belgium reports - as of Monday 19 April 2021 - +1 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 951,532 cases. There have been +6 death in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 23,747 deaths. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad, including within Europe in February. 3,059,484 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Less than 2/3 of doses delivered have been inoculated. Belgium is back in lockdown and closes schools.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with +1 death reported in 24h. The country currently counts 2,306,910 infections (+11 in 24) and 212,466 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. 14,368,074 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Mexico closes archeological sites to prevent gatherings on the Spring equinox taking place this Sunday March 21, 2021.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports +25 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Sunday 18 April 2021, China reports 103,340 cases and 4,856 deaths (0). 195,022,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Beijing approves a second vaccine made in China. China is to generalize anal tests for foreign travelers. China launches a digital "health pass".
- In Japan, Covid keeps on spreading with +3,265 new cases in 24h, naming the highest toll in 24h in the country since the pandemic broke out. 537,317 cases have been reported, and 9,671 (+30 in 24h) deaths reported as of Sunday 18 April 2021. Japan approves a first vaccine: the one developed by Pfizer/BioNTech. 2,054,880 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. PCR tests are sold in vending machines.
- Greece records +1,829 new cases in 24h leading to 315,273 cases since the pandemic broke out. The country totals 9,462 deaths including +65 over the past 24h hours. 2,546,154 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Greece extends lockdown to March 16.
- South Korea, as of Sunday 18 April 2021, reports +549 new infections. 115,195 cases in total, and 1,802 deaths (+1 in 24h) have been reported. Faced with the 3rd wave - even more destructive than the previous two - the country reinforces social-distancing restrictions. In the capital, Seoul, the ban of gatherings of over 4 people is extended. The domestic vaccine campaign is set to begin in February. 1,700,076 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- In South Africa as of Saturday 17 April 2021, the country reports 1,566,769 (+1,089) and 53,736 deaths (+25). South Africa will make their AstraZeneca vaccine doses available to the African Union. 292,623 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Poland currently reports 2,695,327 (+7,302) contamination cases and 62,133 Covid-19 deaths (+101). Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus. The country has been placed back into partial lockdown since December 28, 2020 including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. 8,484,815 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Algeria reports 119,642 cases in total including +156 the past 24h and 3,155 (+3) deaths since the pandemic broke out. 0 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Lebanon instates total lockdown starting Thursday January 14, 2021. The country totals 511,398 cases since the pandemic broke out, including +995 in 24h and 6,959 (+34) deaths because of coronavirus. 343,286 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Sweden, as of Monday 19 April 2021, 916,830 (+2,715) cases, and 13,788 deaths (0) have been reported. Bars and restaurants must close at 10:30 p.m. from November 10 to February 28, at least. This Friday January 8, Sweden passed a law leading to new temporary powers for the government to fight against the coronavirus epidemic, including the possibility to close restaurants and stores for the first time. 2,316,903 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- In Switzerland, the country reports +1,725 new cases in 24h for a total of 639,445 cases.The country reports 9,898 deaths including +2 in 24h. Switzerland is closing stores, restaurants and other places of life from 6 p.m. and on Sunday from December 12 to January 22, 2020. Despite the very aggressive second wave, authorities refuse to implement lockdown. 2,091,809 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Russia, as of Sunday 18 April 2021, reports +8,589 new cases leading to a total of 4,710,690 cases and 105,928 deaths (+346). Russia has launched the mass-vaccination campaign, and 16,237,319 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Saturday 17 April 2021, the country reports 0 new cases in 24h, totalling 64,746 cases and 785 deaths (0 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out. 164,091 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.