Julie M. · Published on 14 April 2021 at 00h29
· Updated on 14 April 2021 at 00h29
The whole world has been facing the unprecedented coronavirus health crisis almost a year now. 136,650,843 coronavirus cases have been reported and over 2,960,738 people have died of Covid-19 worldwide. Discover the toll in countries and the evolution around the world as of Wednesday 14 April 2021. Primary school pupils in Italy return to school. Denmark launches their Covid pass. Argentina instates curfew for the first time.
As of Tuesday 13 April 2021, Covid-19 infected 136,650,843 people (+184,205). So far, 2,960,738 (+5,525) people have died worldwide. We now use data provided by Google.
AstraZeneca vaccine approved by the Haute Autorité de Santé only for people aged 55+
This Friday March 19, the Haute Autorité de Santé has approved the use of AstraZeneca vaccine again in France, after the country - and more in EU - halted it because of severe adverse effects past injection. The approval follows the European Medicines Agency's released this Thursday March 18, and stating the vaccine was sure and effective.
Covid: Europe to achieve herd immunity by mid-July? Some experts are pessimistic
As vaccination campaign goes on in many countries on the Old Continent, according to EU’s Commissioner for the internal market, Europe is to achieve herd immunity by July 14th. But at the same time, several scientists expert on the matter express concerns as for the credibility of such a scenario, regretting a "risky bet" from the European authorities.
- In France, according to the latest report from the health authorities as for the COVID-19 pandemic, about 5,106,329 cases have been reported including +39,113 the past 24h. As of Tuesday 13 April 2021, +345 deaths in 24 hours have been reported. The death toll in nursing homes reaches 26,145 (+21) deaths. 73,335 people have died in hospitals (+324 in 24h) leading to a global total of 99,480 deaths. In France, 11,057,251 people have been given the first dose of vaccine in France.
- In Argentina, 2,578,985 coronavirus cases including +6,952 over the past 24h have been reported along with 58,174 deaths (+17). To date, 5,571,878 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Argentina instates curfew for the first time and bans trips in major urban centers between midnight and 6 a.m., starting Friday and until April 30.
- Denmark reports +514 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 238,306 cases. The country has totalled 2,443 deaths including +2 over the past 24h. Denmark chooses to allow intervals between the two doses of the vaccine in order to vaccinate as many people as possible. 1,332,794 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Denmark launches their "Corona Pass" to access some stores.
- Italy reports this Tuesday 13 April 2021, +13,439 new infections have been reported in 24 hours, and +476 deaths in 24 hours. It now reaches 115,088 since the beginning of the epidemic. And 3,793,033 cases have been confirmed so far. 13,530,663 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Italy obliges health workforces to get vaccinated against coronavirus. Primary school pupils return to school, including in red areas.
- Brazil reports an-always high new infection toll with +82,186 cases in 24 hours. It reports this Tuesday 13 April 2021, +3,808 deaths in 24 hours. The country reports 13,599,994 cases in total, and 358,425 deaths according to data given by the government. 32,216,196 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Over 4,000 deaths have been reported in 24h in Brazil, but Jair Bolsonaro rules lockdown out.
- Portugal is back into lockdown since Friday January 15, 2021 for the second time and for at least a month. All non-food stores must close. As of Sunday 11 April 2021, the country reports 0 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 16,916 deaths since the pandemic broke out; and +271 new cases in 24h, totaling 827,765 confirmed cases. So far, 2,203,333 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Portugal launches its progressive lockdown exit plan and reopens museums, cafés terraces and junior high schools.
- The United Kingdom reports 0 new cases in 24h with a total of 4,374,577 cases since the epidemic broke out. This Monday 12 April 2021, 0 deaths were reported in 24h, leading to a total of 127,118 deaths have been reported. 40,107,877 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. 20 million people have been vaccinated already. The UK government is about to provide free self-test kits to all and is about to launch their health pass.
- Austria reports +2,323 new cases leading to a total of 577,746 cases and +14 deaths in 24h for a total of 9,499 deaths as of Monday 12 April 2021. 2,154,019 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Austria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in stores and public transit. 3 Austrian regions including Vienna are entering their 4th lockdown.
- In the Netherlands, the epidemic escalates with +6,685 new cases in 24h leading to a total of 1,364,025 cases. The country reports 16,822 deaths including +31 these past 24h. 2,863,986 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. The country wishes to host Eurovision with a test audience including 3,500 people.
- Morocco reports this Sunday 11 April 2021, +175 new contaminations in 24h, a total of 502,277 cases. The country also reports 8,909 deaths, +9 in 24h. Morocco's massive vacination campaign is starting at full speed with 8,635,238 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. The country once again extends health emergency to April 10, 2021. Morocco halts flights from and to France and Spain.
- In the United-States, the new daily case toll keeps on decreasing in the 50 States. Today, +48,354 infections have been reported in 24 hours. As of Sunday 11 April 2021, the country reports 30,888,765 cases. The country reports +328 deaths in 24h, taking it up to a total of 556,853 deaths. 192,282,781 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. The border between the USA and Canada will remain shut until March 21. People vaccinated can gather together again mask-free. The USA has inoculated 100 million doses of vaccine and will lend some to their neighbors. Joe Biden promises "90% of the adults could be vaccinated by April 19".
- Canada reports +7,548 new cases in 24h, leading to a total of 1,078,562, naming a new record since the pandemic broke out, and 23,392 deaths including +36 in 24h. 8,330,898 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Canada also recommends AstraZeneca vaccine in people over 55 years of age.
- Spain reports a total of 3,336,637 (0) cases. As of Monday 12 April 2021, the country reports 76,179 deaths in 24h, leading to a total of 0 deaths. 11,073,657 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Spain plans to remove restrictions for travelers from the United Kingdom starting March 30, 2021. Spain makes restrictions for the Holy Week. From Friday March 26 to April 9, it is banned to meet over six people outside, and four inside. Moreover, inter-regional trips are also banned.
- In Germany, have been reported +10,810 new infections in 24 hours. As of Sunday 11 April 2021, the country reports 3,022,323 cases, along with 78,746 (+294) deaths. Initially said to be on from November 2 to 30, the closure bars, restaurants, cultural and sport venues continues and is once again extended to March 28, 2021. So far, 18,684,873 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Berlin experiments reopening of theaters on the condition audience members test negative to Covid. Germany is to list France as high-risk area.
- Belgium reports - as of Tuesday 13 April 2021 - +1 new cases have been reported in 24 hours taking it up to a total of 930,509 cases. There have been +11 death in 24 hours, taking it to a total of 23,503 deaths. Belgium bans any non-necessary trips abroad, including within Europe in February. 2,557,404 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Less than 2/3 of doses delivered have been inoculated. Belgium is back in lockdown and closes schools.
- In Mexico, the epidemic keeps on spreading with 0 death reported in 24h. The country currently counts 2,286,133 infections (+11 in 24) and 210,294 deaths in total. Mexico has exceeded Spain, France, Italy and the UK in terms of fatality. This is the fourth worst-hit country in terms of fatality behind Brazil and the United-States. 11,703,164 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Mexico closes archeological sites to prevent gatherings on the Spring equinox taking place this Sunday March 21, 2021.
- In India, the new case curve dramatically increases. This Sunday 11 April 2021, India records 13,689,453 cases (+161,736 in 24 hours), and 171,058 deaths including +879 in 24 hours. India is about to produce 100 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine and emergency allows the new AstraZeneca vaccine. India has vaccinated 108,533,085 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. India is preoccupied by the epidemic surge in Maharashtra.
- Israel records 836,261 cases since the epidemic broke out, including +189 over the past 24h and 6,304 deaths (+5). So far, 10,279,751 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Israel stops flights from and to the country to limit the spread of variants. A controversial bill enables authorities to know the names of people who are not vaccinated. Israel experiments "at-home" isolation with electronic tag to control trips. Israel slowly returns to normal life as schools, bars, and restaurants reopen. Israel extends its vaccination campaign to pregnant women.
- The number of new cases increases in China as the country reports +23 new Covid-19 infections in 24 hours. As of Sunday 11 April 2021, China reports 103,136 cases and 4,854 deaths (0). 171,928,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Beijing approves a second vaccine made in China. China is to generalize anal tests for foreign travelers. China launches a digital "health pass".
- In Japan, Covid keeps on spreading with +2,516 new cases in 24h, naming the highest toll in 24h in the country since the pandemic broke out. 508,802 cases have been reported, and 9,425 (+25 in 24h) deaths reported as of Sunday 11 April 2021. Japan approves a first vaccine: the one developed by Pfizer/BioNTech. 1,690,592 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. PCR tests are sold in vending machines.
- Greece records +1,606 new cases in 24h leading to 297,086 cases since the pandemic broke out. The country totals 8,961 deaths including +76 over the past 24h hours. 2,225,878 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered. Greece extends lockdown to March 16.
- South Korea, as of Sunday 11 April 2021, reports +542 new infections. 110,688 cases in total, and 1,775 deaths (+5 in 24h) have been reported. Faced with the 3rd wave - even more destructive than the previous two - the country reinforces social-distancing restrictions. In the capital, Seoul, the ban of gatherings of over 4 people is extended. The domestic vaccine campaign is set to begin in February. 1,255,899 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- In South Africa as of Sunday 11 April 2021, the country reports 1,559,113 (+655) and 53,356 deaths (+34). South Africa will make their AstraZeneca vaccine doses available to the African Union. 289,787 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Poland currently reports 2,599,850 (+13,203) contamination cases and 59,126 Covid-19 deaths (+645). Poland has announced a new series of restrictions against the novel coronavirus. The country has been placed back into partial lockdown since December 28, 2020 including the closure of movie theaters and most stores in shopping malls, as well as remote teaching. 7,784,384 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Algeria reports 118,645 cases in total including +129 the past 24h and 3,134 (+4) deaths since the pandemic broke out. 0 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Lebanon instates total lockdown starting Thursday January 14, 2021. The country totals 497,854 cases since the pandemic broke out, including +1,008 in 24h and 6,703 (+42) deaths because of coronavirus. 285,966 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Sweden, as of Monday 12 April 2021, 876,506 (+3,471) cases, and 13,621 deaths (0) have been reported. Bars and restaurants must close at 10:30 p.m. from November 10 to February 28, at least. This Friday January 8, Sweden passed a law leading to new temporary powers for the government to fight against the coronavirus epidemic, including the possibility to close restaurants and stores for the first time. 1,924,772 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- In Switzerland, the country reports +5 new cases in 24h for a total of 625,367 cases.The country reports 9,830 deaths including +1 in 24h. Switzerland is closing stores, restaurants and other places of life from 6 p.m. and on Sunday from December 12 to January 22, 2020. Despite the very aggressive second wave, authorities refuse to implement lockdown. 1,807,703 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Russia, as of Monday 12 April 2021, reports +8,173 new cases leading to a total of 4,657,883 cases and 103,601 deaths (+338). Russia has launched the mass-vaccination campaign, and 14,269,543 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.
- Luxembourg has announced partial lockdown starting Thursday including closure of bars and restaurants. This Sunday 11 April 2021, the country reports +230 new cases in 24h, totalling 63,880 cases and 772 deaths (+4 in 24h) since the pandemic broke out. 130,279 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered.